125 to reuse rod bearings or not?

65chevelle

Cadet
My first post. I am replacing the pistons in my Force 125,I have them out used the trick going thought the reed ports.
The engine ran good but had low compression and would not idle it had no noises, so should I replace the rod bearings or reuse them they look good. any other suggestions are welcome as this is my first outboard piston replacement. Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 to reuse rod bearings or not?

There is a little thing called "Work Hardening" that all metals experience. This is why if you repeatedly bend a paper clip it will break. It hardens and gets brittle at the bend.

Now, bearings are hardened almost as much as they can be but I am certain that after use, they do harden a little more. This is good.

If the rollers are not deeply blued, indicating overheating, if they are not spalled or pitted, or if not damaged in any way, and if the crankshaft and rods are not damaged, it is perfectly acceptable and in my opinion preferable to re-use them. I do it all the time.

However, when I buy new Wiseco pistons, because of the design of the piston, new small end needles are part of the bearing kit required and I use them.

Note that rollers from a used engine may not appear bright "chrome" color. They may have a slight brown to blue/brown discoloration to the polished surfaces and this is acceptable.

65chevelle

Cadet

Also forgot to ask I was thinking about ordering my parts for powerheadkit.com anything I should know about this company?

65chevelle

Cadet

Made a call to powerheadkits and never got a call back yet,i need a set of standard Wiseco pistons and some gaskets any other good sources?