Removing Oxidation?

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 17ft Bass Boat that as started to get some oxidation on the white bottom. Someone has mentioned using oxalic acid (wood bleach) on the bottom of it then rinsing and waxing to remove the oxidation. Is this the correct method? Also, some oxidation or other foggy looking buildup on the top of the boat where the glitter coat is. My question is can this acide be used on the top coat as well to try and remove that other oxidation? Then follow with wax. Or would something like a polishing compund work as well?

Re: Removing Oxidation?

I like using Soft Scrub...yep, the same stuff the wife uses inside the house. Squirt it on and rub it in; you can use a buffer if you wish. It has bleach and a nice lemony smell and clean up nice. Then wash the boat and give it a good coat of wax.

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! Ill have to try that, I like that idea better than me trying to fool with any type of Acid as I would probably end up with it all over myself and blind by the time i finished!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

IMHO .. this blog is incorrect in most of its statements. ( Washing the boat as often as you can with fresh water is a Very good Idea though ).

ERRm.. I dunno about using soft scrub with a buffer .. makes me nervous..

Nix the Wax.. buff and polish is all you need. Wax=Bad.

As far as the bottom goes.. I doubt you have oxidation. Probably more like scum or something.

Oxalic acid is used for Rust ( Iron Oxide ) .. oh..and it should be used in a solution of HOT water or its basically useless. Its great for getting stains from dripping through hulls..but not Oxidation in gelcoat.

As far as your Clear coated Gel on the deck..try to polish it out. It could be just a coating of the clear thats starting to flake off.. Or it could be wax crap..

Who knows at this point..

Got pics ?

YD.

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMHO .. this blog is incorrect in most of its statements. ( Washing the boat as often as you can with fresh water is a Very good Idea though ).

ERRm.. I dunno about using soft scrub with a buffer .. makes me nervous..

Nix the Wax.. buff and polish is all you need. Wax=Bad.

As far as the bottom goes.. I doubt you have oxidation. Probably more like scum or something.

Oxalic acid is used for Rust ( Iron Oxide ) .. oh..and it should be used in a solution of HOT water or its basically useless. Its great for getting stains from dripping through hulls..but not Oxidation in gelcoat.

As far as your Clear coated Gel on the deck..try to polish it out. It could be just a coating of the clear thats starting to flake off.. Or it could be wax crap..

Who knows at this point..

Got pics ?

YD.

You say no wax but what would i use to buff?

Also, why does the soft scrub make you nervous?

You said you doubt its oxidized, that's just what someone told me its got a white buildup on it making the bottom not shine anymore even though the bottom is white. Along the sides of the bottom its dulled out and looks like there is a small layer of white powder on it. However, not bad like mentioned in the article where it leaves white marks on your finger just a little hazy. Just enough to where normal washing wont remove it. Would you remove oxalic acid for this?

No pics right now i will have to try and get some another time.

"ERRm.. I dunno about using soft scrub with a buffer .. makes me nervous.."

I have used soft scrub (with and without a buffer) a number of times. It's like any other light abrasive...keep it wet, don't let it burn the surface, and use plenty of it. My guess is he can remove the problem with just a bit of elbow. Still, never had a problem, and all the old salts i know in the keys never had an issue either. just sayin.

Why would wax=bad?

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^^ X2? I have always used wax and rubbing compounds on boats before with no problems? Not saying either of you are wrong as i am always looking for new methods and techniques and surely want any advice that may prove to be detrimental to my boat.