2007 Mercury 4-stroke 90 overheating?

fllawyer

Cadet
Hope someone can help...I just got my boat a few months ago, a 18' Sea Boss with a 2007 90 hp Mercury 4-stroke with less than 100 hours...took it out last few times and it worked fine, no issues at all.

Went to take it out yesterday and turned it on while loading stuff into the boat and getting ready to push off the dock. As I was leaving the dock, a warning alarm went off, 4 buzzers in short succession, which happened I believe twice. As I was leaving the canal, the motor shuddered, and shut off. Subsequent attempts to fire it back up didn't work, and was towed back (luckily still in the canal). When I got back to the dock, it did turn over, but only momentarily, and would then shudder and turn off. I did noticed that the motor was not peeing...which suggests to me the motor is overheating and/or something is clogged?

I did try flushing the motor as well, turned it on, and still same issue, no peeing, and motor shut off soon after that.

Any suggestions? A 100-hour service was in the works, but now looks like it is the next thing I am doing. Thanks in advance.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 2007 Mercury 4-stroke 90 overheating?

100 hours is the standard interval for an impeller change on your motor. Hopefully Mercs protection systems shut the engine down for you before any major damage occured. Get it in for that 100 hour service and don't attempt to run it until after it's done. Oh and ignoring alarms, not a good idea but I guess you've figured that out by now.

fllawyer

Cadet
Re: 2007 Mercury 4-stroke 90 overheating?

Sschefer-

Thanks for the quick response. I had been doing some wiring before I went out as well, and at first thought it was a power issue. Will have the impeller replaced and the 100-hour service done ASAP.