Canada bound

aspeck

Staff member
Looks like I will be headed to Cobden, Ontario in August. Anything there I should see?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Canada bound

Me on the way through !!!! What route are you taking ????

Moody Blue

Captain

Your kind of in the middle of nowhere. There is Canada's capital city, Ottawa about 50 miles to the east.

There is of course Algonquin provincial park, a world renowned wilderness park about 50 miles to the west. Lots to do and see there if you like the great outdoors. People come from all over the world to visit this park.

aspeck

Staff member

Probably headed up 81 to 137 to 401 to 416 to 17. Middle of nowhere is good. Will be looking forward to a week of nature and not much else. Mhopefully my phone won't work either! ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i saw this post late last nite....

i googled where it was....

if you are driving......do the niagra thing....well worth it....it is one of the seven wonders of the world.

but all in all your kinda in the middle of nothing.....lots of lakes tho.

and yes....your cell phone will work.

oh....by the way.....you are not far from pennbroke that is the home of the eddy match company !

Jeep Man

Commander

If you detour thru Detroit you can hock up with Kenmyfam and/or myself. Where your going is SamOtt country. Worked over that way a couple years back. Gas up before crossing the border and save about 30%. PM if you in the neighborhood. Bring your passport. We are a real foreign country AND we talk funny.:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay..... so list what you are driving and we will be sure the Boarder Patrol limits your strip search and vehicle teardown to under 18 hours :eek: what are friends for? :D

aspeck

Staff member

A beat uP old Chevy pick up with a plow hanging from the front, or a Yaris. You tell me, Bob. ;)

Bigprairie1

Commander

...remember don't wear sunglasses when talking to either Canadian or U.S border services people and don't bring firearms. If they find them, they are confiscated.
I would bring some fresh water fishing gear.....lots of lakes in that area.
Are you there on business or recreation Aspeck?
BP

aspeck

Staff member

Bigprairie1;3720700 Are you there on business or recreation Aspeck? BP[/QUOTE said:
Recreation ... and the fishing tackle will be in the vehicle. (Note to self, remove the handguns before starting trip ...)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

It really is a different place, they do things just a little different there for sure. One of my buds had a DWI from 20 years back, and was denied access because of it. He had been a cook on a ore hauling boat for over 10 years (in and out of Canada regularly), and this issue came up last month. He said it cost him a huge job, and is now dealing with trying to get this very old charge removed from his record. The lawyer said this is a political thing, stemming from political BS here in the states. But the fishing is really nice up there, enjoy it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

We spell our country C-eh N-eh D-eh. Not C-A-N-A-D-A like most think we do.

he is going just a few miles form the DAA....Kay-bec (Quebec) boarder......they talk real funny in that province

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A beat uP old Chevy pick up with a plow hanging from the front, or a Yaris. You tell me, Bob. ;)

Hey.....I re-did that Chebby last Summer with all new metal and new full paint....... the BIGGEST problem I have is EVERY vehicle I own will fail for explosives detection.......... the price you pay for playing with go BANG stuff!!!

raven1978

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well if you are up for a little adventure, i would suggest Owl Rafting on the river. Did this a few years back and its a blast. Boldt Castle is also another thing to see if you wandered to the 1000 islands since you're coming across at the 137. I live in Kingston and can name a whole slew of places, but that would prolly chew up more than your week up here. In the Ottawa area, Parliment is a great place to check out. Tons to see and do, but Cobden IS in the middle of nowhere, its great :)

aspeck

Staff member

Well if you are up for a little adventure, i would suggest Owl Rafting on the river. Did this a few years back and its a blast. Boldt Castle is also another thing to see if you wandered to the 1000 islands since you're coming across at the 137. I live in Kingston and can name a whole slew of places, but that would prolly chew up more than your week up here. In the Ottawa area, Parliment is a great place to check out. Tons to see and do, but Cobden IS in the middle of nowhere, its great :)
Owl rafting sounds good, thanks. Looking forward to the middle of nowhere.