Can a rebuild affect timing?

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does the actual rebuild process of adding oversized pistons affect engine timing? Or is it purely controlled by the link and sync settings?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Can a rebuild affect timing?

It is based on your cam and distributor settings . . . the pistons are not involved.

Why do you ask?

daselbee

Commander

Nope. Strictly link and sync. If you disassembled the motor, removed linkages, even timing pointer, then you should go thru it again, paying special attention to the WOT timing setting.

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok thanks. The reason I ask is all of my linkages have some type of sealant on the threads (I'm assuming this was done by the factory) that appears to be done to keep the settings intact. So I would assume as long as I've reinstalled the linkage and kept all the screws set the same (using the thread sealant as a guide) my 2000 50 HP Johnson would keep the factory timing? The one thing that's concerning me is I checked it using the Reeves static timing method and it appeared to be a few degrees retarded.

daselbee

Commander

Best to check it after the work you describe.
I would do it on the water, timing light, and someone driving the boat.
Read timing, stop, adjust, re-read til right.

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Daselbee. I guess for now I'll keep the linkage adjustments as is and work up the courage to check WOT on the lake.

daselbee

Commander

What lake? Lake Norman? Used to live in Mooresville.....

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No kidding, Mooresville's a nice area. Yeah Lake Norman sometimes although I go to Mt. Island Lake more often. It's smaller and less crowded. Perfect for my 15' bayliner.

daselbee

Commander

Ok just to show you that I am telling true....

So, you put in at the Hwy 16 bridge...the wildlife ramp down to the right if you are heading north, kinda down from the power plant...Allen steam station...I think.....
or do you put in up off of Neck road, you know...Beatties Ford to Neck Rd, and down to the left to a NC Wildlife ramp....

Great lake. Wish I was back up there.

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well it's good to find another Mt. Island boater here on Iboats. I put in at the Neck Rd. ramp. It's much quieter / less traffic than the one off the Hwy. 16 bridge. I really like the lake as well, just less aggravation than Lake Norman. I'm sorry the area lost someone with your expertise in outboards. That's the main reason I took on the rebuild project myself. Never really been able to find any shops here that care much about working on a 50 HP engine, always long wait times and low priority. I went all the way down to Lake Wylie to get the cylinders bored and honed. During your time in Mooresville you ever run into anyone you'd recommend for outboard work?

daselbee

Commander

Naw....all are bozos.

Good to talk to ya. As I said, I kinda wish I was back up there.

Learn to work on it yourself....good luck to ya.

It would be very interesting if I knew you. PM me, I bet if you are from North Mecklenburg, I might know you.