Install car seats into a boat

thebulldog

Seaman Apprentice
Ahoy Mates,
has anyone ever attempted installing car sport seats (leather) into a boat,
there shouldent be much of a problem ????

Many Thanks, the next round is on me !

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Install car seats into a boat

Wrong padding inside the seats........ they are not good for marine use and tend to adsorb water.

They are heavy too......

Not a recommended idea.....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

back in high school a friend had a scatcraft--similar to a glastron flat-hull speedboat--he took out the backtoback and bought two bucket seats from the junk yard. They were cheap enough that he could keep them for a season or two. This was in salt water, uncoverered boat. Obviously not the best plan but OK for 15 year olds!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Auto seats tend to have steel springs and seat supports. In salt water these can last only a short time.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can you - yes. Should you - no.

Boat seats are pretty cheap, all things considered.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I know a guy that did this and just used toggle bolts to fasten the seat to fiberglass. One of his passengers, a 300 lb 70 yr. old man sat down in one and the bolts failed and the old guy went into the 50*F drink. The boat had no access back in and the old timer couldn't pull himself aboard even with the help of the boat owner. Luckily to other guy were passing by in a boat and gave assistance, had it not been for them...

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you said car seats, I initially though like child safety seats. LOL! I was like I don't think that would be a good idea. I know a few people who have used seats from cars on the boats. Seemed to fair okay for at least 2 years out in the open.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Why would you??? :confused: Ever look in any number of marine parts magazines? There's tons of real boat seats to buy out there.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah they are heavy,not protected and just made of the wrong stuff.

pjitty

Cadet

I know a guy who did this and their was a hole in the passenger seat, well a skinny friend sat on the seat with the hole and fell thru and almost choked to death. Luckily a boat came by with the Jaws Of Life and pried him out. Had it not been for the other boat!!!

Joe D

mphy98

Lieutenant

You might be a redneck if.......:D

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with duck hunter you certainly could but probably shouldn't. If you need seats and have some old car seats laying around and can't afford new boat seats you could throw them in but I would plan on replacing them as soon as you can.