Evinrude 6hp spun hub?

EvanKyle

Recruit
as i was going up river i noticed my evinrude 6hp fisherman started to rev up high like it was in neutral but was still going foward but at a slower pace than usual. at first it would only happen for a short while 5-10 seconds but after all day on the river running lines it will constantly "slip" and rev high and rarely propels the boat at the normal speed. i took the pin out of the cap and pulled the prop off. inside was about 20ft of fishing line covered in grease and grime. i removed the line and re-applied the prop and end cap and pin and it still revs high and will not give the thrust it used to. this motor is either a late 60's-early 70's and has been handed down from my grandad. i rebuilt the carb and changed the plugs and it starts first pull. i'm somewhat mechanically inclined with cars (i have serviced and maintained my corvette without issues) but this marine stuff is new to me. any help would be greatly appreciated. p.s. if it is a spun hub what do i need to replace/repair it. the prop is a 8x7.. thanks for your time evan

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 6hp spun hub?

make a mark on the hub and one on the prop that lines up with it.... go for a ride and see if it really slipped.
From my personal experience it's cheaper to get a good used prop (around $40, sometimes much less at garage sales) than to get a new hub pressed in.
Sounds like your prop shaft seal might be leaking oil as well (grease and grime), good time to change it.