1964 boat build

kyleg1992

Cadet
me and my brother in law bought a boat last year and have been slowly rebuilding it. some info on it, its a 14ft 1964 starcraft with a 50hp mercury motor. first thing we did when we got it home was strip out the very rotted floor. we then stripped all the old paint off and repainted it. we then put some duraplate in for our floor. now recently this weekend we were able to replace our very rotted transome and lay down some carpet. so far i am very happy with the way its turning out! now were just waiting on seats to arrive and were ready to take it out on the water for the first time! ill post some pics i would like to hear what u guys think!

first pic is it looked when we got it home, second after we stripped all the paint off, third after it was painted, fourth new carpet, and last is wat our floor used to look like after we stripped all the ply wood and dirt out of it!
photo 2 (2).jpgphoto 4 (3).jpgphoto 3 (3).jpgimage (4).jpgphoto 1.JPG
ill be sure to take some better pics when iget a chance

bgc

Ensign
Re: 1964 boat build

Nice lookin boat!
What you have is known as a Starcraft Jet or Jet Star. The Jet had two bench seats and the Jet Star had two reclining seats.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure how I missed this one so first off - Welcome to the iboats dry dock!

Looks like you've done a great job of showing the old girl some love.:) Would love to see more finished pics.

If your interested Huron Angler has compiled a Starcraft list of brochures. While it does look like a lot like Lakelover's Jet at 14' it's a bit short.(Jets are 15') Maybe its a Fury.

kyleg1992

Cadet

well boat is still a work in progress although we have taken it out fishing quite a few time now! we recently put a 1963 650 on it which we picked up for only 75 bucks! found out it uses a bit more fuel as the 500 since last time we took it out it sucked our 6 gallon tank dry halfway back to our ramp! after a half hour of paddleing some decided to be nice and and give us a tow. as for it being a jet or jet star i would say it was a jet as the aluminum brackets for the bench seats are still in place. previous owner had bent them up and are currently being used as oar holders! i will take pictures next time we work on it or take it out. maybe ill even get a video of the old beast running!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

My 1964 Jet Star has an actual center length of 14'10". Did you measure or are you going by what the registration says? They can be notoriously inaccurate.

Anyway, the Jets had two sets of forward facing seats; Jet Stars have two back-to-back seats and were designed more for skiing than cruising, so the observers could face the back.

Nice work so far, good to see another smaller Starcraft, I love 'em.

kyleg1992

Cadet

Well after looking over the boat a bit more we decided that It must be the jet model as the original seat were back to back! Also took it out today and video of it at wot for u guys to see! Its on my photobucket page I posted above. I will get more pics once I clean it up a bit as it has been our fishing boat for a while and is quite dirty at the time!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Nice job on the paint. Just curious about what brand/type of paint you used. Looks great.

For some reason I don't see your video on the photobucket link above...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

LL videos work....... click on the picture ;)

Nice boat. Seems to be moving right along.

kyleg1992

Cadet

The paint we used was some automotive paint we had left from my jeep I believe it was flame red... But anyways we got the paint and clear coat from auto plus. But the down side is the paint is already chipping. We are planning on repainting.. what do u guys recommend?

kyleg1992

Cadet

[video]http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii637/kgeisler2010/0c23f97f.mp4[/video] heres a direct link to the video let me know if it doesnt work!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

LL videos work....... click on the picture ;)

No pictures I clicked opened a video for me :confused:...maybe something not showing up for me?

Anyway, the direct link worked, nice ride you took us on, kyleg. Motor looks & sounds great, an excellent match for that boat.

BTW, the Jet's rear seat that faced forward is quite a bit further to stern than the rear-facing seat of the Jet Star, that's more mid-ship.

kyleg1992

Cadet

The seat we put in are not in the original spots. But the aluminum brackets are still in place and the front a back seats wer very close so im assuming they wer back to back.
image6.jpg

This pic shows the original seat bracket( now oar holders) so am i correct im say this is a jet?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Back to back = Jet Star. Your seat bracket placement is identical to mine.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

love the red color...

i belive you can post the video here just like you do pictures...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep to Post your video directly into your thread, just click the film strip icon in the top menu bar and then paste the video link into the pop up window. That's all there is to it.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

That would of been Jet bench style seats. The Jetstar B2B mount to the floor with no brackets on the inside of the hull.

bgc

Ensign

My 63' Jet Star has the brackets, wonder if both models had them?