HELP PLEASE!!! Motor Problem

lukethaduke88

Recruit
OK where do I start?...Well my friend bought a new boat last year because his old one no longer ran so I took the old one off his hands for something to do. Well something to do became an obsession. So here we go...The last time he used it, it ran fine but the time after that it wouldn't start. When I got it I ended up finding a crack in the lower unit so I had to replace it...after I done that I was able to get it started but it wouldn't idle...to get it started I had to spray fuel straight into the carbs...for some reason one day I sprayed fuel into the carb , started it and pushed the throttle down and found out it would stay running with the throttle pushed down and in gear. But in neutral it won't stay idle but for a few seconds...every time I start it I have to spray fuel in the carbs...I know by now now your prob laughing at me saying you idiot that your fuel pump but I know nothing about boats and I think it has a Manuel fuel pump but not really sure. Any ideas???Ohhh and one of the most important details...1988 Mercury Mareiner in line 6 115hp

BonairII

Commander
Re: HELP PLEASE!!! Motor Problem

#1: Buy and OEM service manual for your motor.

#2: Sounds like the carbs need to be taken off and cleaned thoroughly.

I assume that your running the motor in a barrel of water or on muffs, correct?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Ether??? is not a good thing for an outboard.Ethanol isin't either.
Raise the rpms.about 1100 in neutral on the muffs.
Then do the stuff Bonairll recommends.
Then check the fuel pump too.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe not using your enrichener system properly.
Pump bulb,open tank air vent,open throttle,key on and push in for 5 seconds then start.
If you still need to spray carbs then use premix only.

lukethaduke88

Recruit

OK so far ive already taken off and cleaned all three carbs with no luck.
(2) yes sir I'm using muffs to start it out of water
(3) pre mix is what I'm using...I know ether isn't good on a motor
(4) any clue where the fuel pump is on this motor?

Thanks for the help everyone

DarrylPK

Recruit

Fuel Pump.jpg

Here is a picture of my 1988 Mercury 115...The square box in the middle of the picture is the fuel pump...I just rebuilt mine last month and it's very easy to do...I also replaced the fuel filter (glass cylinder to the upper left of the fuel pump) and the primer bulb (it was old and was losing prime due to an air leak)...These things helped because my motor was running rough and hard to start...Also, check your spark plugs as one or more may be fouled....

Here is the link to the fuel pump kit that I used:

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=112445&gd_row=64&session_id=932696546

You can look up yours to verify....