New member with a few questions....

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all! I have been on your forums for a few years and always have been able to find answers but I figured it was time to join and communicate with everyone.

I do have a couple questions.

My boat is a 1999 Bayliner 1750 LS Capri. Up until 2010 it only racked up an average of ten hours a summer(if that)...It was a family friend's boat, basically used as a taxi for people and supplies out to their what I think is a 42' catalina. Since I purchased the boat I have put countless hours on it. (no hour meter)

At the end of last year our lake was very very low and I bottomed out my prop. It was a 21p 14" 3 blade prop. I purchased a 4 blade 19' 14.25" prop off of this website. It did not clear my trim tab anode so I swapped it out for an offset one, no big deal...

however I need to apply some lube obviously and I have never really done anything mechanically myself with the boat...it hasn't ever needed anything. The boat did come with this:
IMG_0628.jpg

Can I use this to lube the hub and internals of the prop? Or do I need to purchase some other type of marine grease/lube?

Also I had the boat winterized even though it sits in our garage all winter and doesn't get below 40*....I know when I picked it up from the marine shop that did the procedure they told me to lower the lower unit down for storage. I failed to do this and it has sat since last october in the upright trailering position. Is this bad? Do I need to do anything before I take the boat out for the first time this year?

Happy boating and thanks in advance!:D
(only picture I have of the boat right now..better than nothing)
IMG_0076.jpg

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New member with a few questions....

The Gear Lube is meant for internal (gear) use...

Anyway, from your garage pictures, I can see you give priority to the boat.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If your talking about installing the prop you want to use a anti seize grease on the prop shaft splines. You can find that at most any auto parts store.

The reason for lowering the drive unit is to allow any water that gets in from rain or left over water in the motor and water pump system to drain out and not freeze and do damage, and being as it was garage kept and above freezing it should be just fine.

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

The Gear Lube is meant for internal (gear) use...

Anyway, from your garage pictures, I can see you give priority to the boat.

That is my old 2011 Silverado Crew Cab, It has since been replaced with a 2012 Crew Cab in white instead of black....

For the majority of the summer months the boat is on a hoist in the slip I have from my boat club...

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

If your talking about installing the prop you want to use a anti seize grease on the prop shaft splines. You can find that at most any auto parts store.

The reason for lowering the drive unit is to allow any water that gets in from rain or left over water in the motor and water pump system to drain out and not freeze and do damage, and being as it was garage kept and above freezing it should be just fine.

thank you for the quick response. Does it have to be marine grade grease or just any anti seize will work fine?

We had a very mild winter and I doubt the garage ever even saw 40* so that puts my mind at ease a little bit more knowing I shouldn't have any problems.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I would not use an anti-seize compound on any parts below the waterline. They contain electrically conductive metals like copper and aluminum that could encourage electrolysis and corrosion.

Skiya has it right. Prop grease is all you need.

My .02

Philster

Captain

Lower your outdrive whenever the boats sits, if possible. It's kinder to the bellows.

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

Lower your outdrive whenever the boats sits, if possible. It's kinder to the bellows.

I will lower it this weekend. I did make the mistake of leaving the battery connected over the winter also. It is completely dead and I am going to purchase two new ones with the addition of a switch hopefully next weekend....

So when the boat is sitting in my hoist during the week I should leave it lowered?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes also lower it when on hoist so the bellows are not stretched farther than need be. In your first post you mentioned you have "put countless hours on it". Have you done any servicing on the boat (engine/outdrive) at all?
Mark

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

Yes also lower it when on hoist so the bellows are not stretched farther than need be. In your first post you mentioned you have "put countless hours on it". Have you done any servicing on the boat (engine/outdrive) at all?
Mark

yes....nothing myself though. I take it to the marine tech and he changes the oil & "winterizes" the boat. I was told by multiple people that nothing else needs to be done and everyone that has looked at the boat has said it is in perfect mechanical condition....

I never used to keep it in the full "trailer" position, but I would keep it up. From now on I will just keep it all the way down when I have it in the hoist....

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As you indicate in the reply and found on many threads here on iboats, "winterize" can be subjective depending on who does it and what they know. You just might want to find when the last time was he pulled the drive, replaced the impeller/water pump, did the proper lubrications, etc. Just so you know it's being maintained properly and to your expectations.
Mark