Speed cameras comming to illinois in july!!!

Speed cameras comming to illinois in july!!!

• Total voters

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
BEWARE WHEN TOWING!!!

All Illinois drivers or those visiting through there.

image001.jpgimage002.jpgimage003.jpg

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones starting in July.

Beginning in July the State of Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated as 'Work Zones' on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense, but the SECOND offense will cost $ 1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension.

Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license , which allows insurance companies to raise their rates.

This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city or state using PHOTO enforcements. The State will begin with TWO camera vans issuing tickets in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH.

Photographs of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken.

Pass this on to everyone you know.

Thanks to my insurance agent for letting me know about this. Hopefully it will save at least one of you from a ticket, as I don't know anyone who doesn't speed through work zones.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Speed cameras comming to illinois in july!!!

Makes ya wonder what will happen when you are towing a boat.... Get the trailer's license plate? Claim that someone was borrowing my boat that day..........

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you obey the law there is no problem.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

They've been using the portable ones (van they park on the shoulder) in the construction zones for at least a year if not two.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never speed through work zones when workers are present. When they are not working I often go 7mph over, considering everyone wants to go 10-15mpg over in a 45mph work zone around me and not going with the flow of traffic is more dangerous then driving a few mph over. I have a feeling this will go the way of most red light cameras where they shorten the lights to get more people. Here they will probably just only be doing it when the worker's aren't present and when the work zone is way lower then it needs to be.

This is the first time speed cameras have been used like this in Illinois. Although I have seen massive speeding ticketing before. Only about 95% of the vehicles on the road around me got pulled over, thank god for having my CB on and listening to the truckers and their warnings to the semi's going the other way. No semi's got pulled over, just about every car though. That was 7 years ago this summer.
I do not know why I didn't pull that CB out of my pickup when I sold it. Maybe I could have installed it in the boat! :D :eek:

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

They have actually been using the camera vans for 3-4 years already in the Chicago land area. What they don't tell you is the minimum fine is $375 but that comes with $125 in court cost fees so it's actually a $500 ticket. It takes a picture of your face and front plate so no luck with the it was someone else's boat excuse either. :)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Its just another example of how states are in need of money.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Saw these near Mundelein (sp) 3 years ago.
They had signs up every half mile or so. Cameras everywhere.
I was doing 10 over and was still being bumper pushed by the actual construction trucks.
Many drivers were doing 20 over, or more.

A week later I got a certified letter in the mail......... It was the title/coa for the trailer I bought. Whew !

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I bet that was a nail biter until you opened that one up. Lol

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Even though Illinois still hasn't figured out how to build a road, too many workers die every year with traffic racing through work zones.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

If you obey the law there is no problem.
If the cops would obey the law there would be even less of a problem. I personable don't want to be on camera from the time I leave my house to the time I get home - that is what I think this is leading to. Not because I'm doing wrong, but because it's no bodies buiness! If they post signs that make you aware the cameras are there it isn't as bad. In DC they hide them in vehicles, and park them randomly. If they get you going just a couple of miles over it's $ 125.00 - it is not about safety, it's about revenue. Anyone knows that moving at the same speed as the traffic is much safer than going 55, when everyone else is doing 75. I have seen people rear ended when they hit the brakes hard just before a camera.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Since I do not live in Illinois I did not vote.

This will settle the arguments on how fast will a boat go with a specific prop

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm glad I don't live there anymore. Georgia doesn't require a front license plate. I guess I'll have less to worry about if I end up driving in Illinois.

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gerogia is also one of the places that uses the cameras on the highway, I was up there twice last year and was scared Bleep-less cause of all the troopers and camera and Speed checked with detection devices signs. lol otherwise i love it minus all the taxes and emissions check

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Score one for Wisconsin. It has been deemed against our state constitution to give tickets from remote devices such as camera vans or pole mounted cameras. Oh boots are against the state constitution as well. I guess that makes up for high taxes and mandatory ethanol. Well maybe not. :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since I do not live in Illinois I did not vote.

This will settle the arguments on how fast will a boat go with a specific prop

Didn't vote either because it doesn't change any thing.

Now, about the boat speed................

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Mine goes 10. Gotta get that motor working right. :facepalm:

Jeanne95

Recruit

Photographs of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Yup there is not much wiggle room to say it wasn't me.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

...I have a feeling this will go the way of most red light cameras where they shorten the lights to get more people. ...

If you get nabbed by a red light camera and you think the yellow light has been shortened, go back and time it. It should be 3.5 to 4 seconds long. Any less than 3.5 seconds, then you should get a lawyer and fight the system.