197 Mercury 115 Flywheel Removal questions

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

First post ever. I have been a lurker since I found this site. I have gained quite a bit of knowledge by just reading, but I have a couple of questions that I need a little extra information on. If you guys wouldn't mind helping a newbie, I would forever in your debt.

1st question is this:
I bought a flywheel puller (shown below) and it came with a lifting ring. Is the lifting ring for lifting the flywheel after it pops loose, or can I actually use this to lift the engine off of the boat? The ring is plenty strong enough, but are the threads on the puller itself strong enough?

Second question:
I read a couple of post where people said to be sure and mark the flywheel before taking it off. I understand completely why this would be important, but I am unsure where the best place to mark it would be. Can someone enlighten me on the best way to make sure I do not make a useless mark?

Thanks in advance guys,
Brad

Attachments

• MBSMFG.jpg
    MBSMFG.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 197 Mercury 115 Flywheel Removal questions

As for question #1, yes, you can lift the entire motor with that ring. And for question # 2, I just line up my timing marks before I pull my flywheel. I hope that helps. I'd wait for one of the experts to reply to question #2 though. Just because I've done it doesn't mean I did the right thing. I'm sure about the lifting ring though, that's what it was made to do!

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't undo the flywheel from the inner hub (8 bolts) and only undo nut that holds it to the crankshaft, you don't need to mark the flywheel assembly, it only fits on one way.

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice

Cool! Thanks guys, That is what I needed to know. I need to check my stator, triggers and switchboxes. I assumed that it was keyed, that is why I wanted to be sure. I have seen several mentions of people stating to be sure that they marked the flywheel before they pulled it so that it doesn't have to be retimed.

Thanks,
Brad