Wire splicing - to solder or heat shrink connectors ?

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
A couple are crappy at the terminal bar. They are from the harness side. They purple one and the red/purple wires were dry rotted and are full of corrosion. I figure if I cut them back far enough, I'll lose a lot of the corrosion.

mark1961

Ensign
Re: Wire splicing - to solder or heat shrink connectors ?

What model motor are we talking about here?.....i had the same problem on my 60hp and decided to replace the motor harness from the plug with new and be done with it.....the motor was worth the coin. If an area has already started to dry rot the rest wont be far behind, but do what you think is right for your situation.....

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

I use non insulated tubular connectors and crimp with a proper crimper that leaves a strong indent in the center of the crimp . The heat shrink goes over that.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Or these. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Or these. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

Theyre too expensive and the insulation is too hard and inflexible. Standard heat shrink tubing works much better.

These are the crimpers to use no matter what type of crimp connector you may use.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet....?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJO3_LaAuK8CFRGAhwodMVp_hw

These are the non insulated butt crimp connectors. Insulation over the top makes for a poor splice and the insulation will break through if the indented crimp jaws are used. Insulation over the crimp is preferred.
http://www.delcity.net/store/Butt-C...tors&mp_mt=b&gclid=CNfZ2OuAuK8CFQOEhwod1SSmfQ

222005_primary.jpg

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I love butt connectors and I also can't solder worth a damn so I always crimp. As far as the heat shrink connectors I use them sometimes. I just rewired the whole interior of my boat and I used them to protect from moisture. If its something thats likely to get actually wet than I use regular ones and shrink tube.

nwcove

Admiral

solder, wipe any excess paste residue off with solvent, dab some silicon on the joint, slide heat shrink over it, and you have a corrosion/moisture free fix.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I do not like solder anywhere on a boat/motor. It actually becomes more brittle and less flexible from the solder connection. I vote for the crimped connections with heat shrink overtop.

mark1961

Ensign

Like i said.....if you can afford it, its available and your motor is worth it.....buy the harness and be done with it. :D

Sport240

Seaman

I just spent most of the day re-wiring, splicing and heat shrinking over top, so I guess that's my final answer!

JD

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like i said.....if you can afford it, its available and your motor is worth it.....buy the harness and be done with it. :D

Harness is CDI $125 to my door. It seems like overkill to replace whole thing. Not sure why those 2 wires are so nasty. Looks like a lot of good ideas here so I will sort through.

mark1961

Ensign

Harness is CDI $125 to my door. It seems like overkill to replace whole thing. Not sure why those 2 wires are so nasty. Looks like a lot of good ideas here so I will sort through.

That's about what i paid for mine.....it was justified in my case because the old one was pretty far gone and not worth messing around with.....i hope you repair yours successfully.

daselbee

Commander

This place has the heat shrink crimp connectors for a reasonable price...about .30 to .40 each.
That is half of what the post above prices out at.
I do not recommend the ones that have a solder bead in them...they are too hard to crimp right.

http://www.delcity.net/

Lots of styles, types, sizes. Quick shipping.