Spitting Fuel Please Help!

Maximus13

Cadet
Top carb is blowing out air instead of sucking in. Motor starts fine, but idles poorly, pulled spark plug wire off of the top cylinder, no rpm change. while on plane, I hear what sounds like a cylinder cutting in and out. I rebuilt the carb, cked compression and spark. Bad reeds? Oh yeah it backfires also after a quick rev. Please help! I have done a lot to this motor, but hate the idea of taking to the local boat mechanic because he is a dbag.

Maximus13

Cadet
Re: Spitting Fuel Please Help!

Edit: Also rebuilt fuel pump, replaced fuel line, spark plugs, filters, added water seperator. Any help would be much appreciated!

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bad idle,blowing back,sneezing does sound like a reed problem.Post engine type and serial# for more accurate assistance.

Maximus13

Cadet

Bad idle,blowing back,sneezing does sound like a reed problem.Post engine type and serial# for more accurate assistance.

Aww yeah, sorry aussie, I knew that but the wife was calling me, so I posted in a rush. Its a 2005 Mercury 60/40 2stroke out board jet.

Serial # 1B017249
2005 60EOJet40

Maximus13

Cadet

So I got to the reeds, They are the butterfly type reeds. A whole pedal was MISSING! Hopefully this did not cause too much damage. I received my chris carson reeds today in the mail. I went to the local dealer to get the gaskets, he said he would have to order them. He then called me back and said he was unable to get them. I was wondering if I could use the old ones with some gasket sealer?

Maximus13

Cadet

I tracked them down, will be arriving early next week. Looking forward to assembly

Maximus13

Cadet

A friend of mine recommended pulling apart the motor to try to track down the reed. What do you guys think?

Maximus13

Cadet

Replaced reeds, problem resolved. I would recommend to anyone that has the metal reeds, to replace with composite, for a peace of mind. Having a metal reed break off in your motor will cause many sleepless nights, its just not worth it.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replaced reeds, problem resolved. I would recommend to anyone that has the metal reeds, to replace with composite, for a peace of mind. Having a metal reed break off in your motor will cause many sleepless nights, its just not worth it.

Did you ever track down the missing reed?