1988 120 hp johnson not starting

Crappie killer1

Recruit
Hey, i was just wondering if anybody could help me with a problem i am having with my boat. It has 88' 120hp vro johnson. It was very good engine until i made the mistake of listening to everyone and unhooked oil injection and premixed. I mixed 50:1like the boat shop said to do. Right after took it to lake and would not run right eventually quiting and never starting back. Took it home and drained premixed gas and oil out. and hooked vro back up but still wont run. I have changed plugs and it is getting gas and fire but wont run. Someone told me about a safety circuit that may need resetting, but unsure. I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1988 120 hp johnson not starting

Will it fire off if you squirt some fuel mixture directly into the carbs?

Crappie killer1

Recruit

Will it fire off if you squirt some fuel mixture directly into the carbs?

No, it just pops like it might be misfiring. The spark does not appear to be weak, but not sure how i can check it. I just didnt know if I could have caused it to go into a safety mode when I took the oil injection off.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The spark should jump a 7/16" air gap and be bright blue. You should be able to remove the VRO without causing any ignition problems.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You didn't take it into any "safety mode" when you took the oil injection off of it. Get a spark tester at any parts house and set it to 7/16 " open air gap and check the spark. First thing to do.

Crappie killer1

Recruit

I checked the spark last night and it looks good but it looks like it might be getting to much oil. what is the little red arrow shaped thing close to fuel pump for.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

The primer has a manual lever that is red in colour. It is located near the top of the carbs and on the starboard side of the VRO pump.
Did you move this lever? What is it's current position? If it's in the open position you will run very rich and you may even flood it out at start up.

Crappie killer1

Recruit

I believe it has been moved and right now it's current position is pointing to the motor by the VRO pump. I did notice on, I assume the timing advance rod, that there is a brass rod and it looks like there is supposed to be a cap. Is this right or does it matter?

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Here's the correct position of the red lever. These are pics from a 1988 110 crossflow, its a different animal but the primer solenoid should be the same. The other pic is of the idle adjust screw (top) it has a rubber bumper on the end of it. Is this the missing cap you are referring to?

PRIMER 001.jpgPRIMER 002.jpg