01 40 hp problems plz help

rsummerford

Recruit
I have a 40 hp mercury 2 stroke oil injected tiller with trim. It has been sitting up for 5 years now. I got it and the fuel was drained out of the tank and motor when put up. I filled tank and added sea foam and flushed fuel line going to motor out before hooking it up. First trip boat idles and cranks fine revs up fine put it in gear and it wont plane off and every now and then it would kick in and take off at wot then idle back down it did this alot the first trip. So i hade the carbs clean the guy said middle carb was gummed up bad but he cleaned all three of them. The second trip boat idles fine revs up good but at wot bearly moves boat and never takes off like before cleaning. So today i took plugs out and they where the orignal plugs from 01 and they were all 3 wet and nasty looking. Havent been back out to see if it will open up. What else could it be if this doesnt fix it. Mechanic said something bout stator if carbs didnt fix it something bout high end of stator i thought the motor had to be warmed up to affect stator is this possible and what else could it be. Thanks for any help

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 01 40 hp problems plz help

If the plugs are wet it can only be for two reasons: 1) carbs way to rich or 2) weak ignition. This is exactly why one should always diagnose a problem before just "assuming" (in this case) the carbs were the problem.

rsummerford

Recruit
Re: 01 40 hp problems plz help

after the carbs were fixed the boat would not even hardly go at all