Yamaha 1.8 vs Mercruiser 3.0 reliability

TomHeathcote

Recruit
Anyone have any thoughts on the reliability of the Yamaha 1.8 used in Yamaha jet boats compared to the Mercrcuriser 3.0?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Yamaha 1.8 vs Mercruiser 3.0 reliability

You'll probably wear the Yami out sooner because WOT is so much fun. ;)

exactly... maintenance and how its driven have far more affect on life than anything else.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Odd comparison, but I will add that a typical pleasurecraft application won't wear out either example. If reliability means "will star" then I'd go with the Yammie if EFI. Don't worry about it. Not a deciding factor IMHO. Much more different about those examples.

Moving to non-Repair Inboard.

TomHeathcote

Recruit

I'm debating between the Yamaha SX190 and the Chapparal H2O18. I like the Yamaha but the engine used is very different then the Mercruiser 3.0 used in most 18ft bowriders.

I want a dependable reliable boat that won't be in the shop all the time. If anyone out there has owned a boat with the Yamaha 1.8 please share your thoughts on the quality of the engine. Would I be better off getting the standard 18ft bowrider with an Merc 3.0?

QC

Supreme Mariner

The jet will have less maintenance for sure. Where are you going to boat?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I had a SeaRay with the 3.0 for ten years and it ran flawlessly during that period except for one instance when the coil insulator cracked, resulting in some rough running. Other than that it was about the lowest-hassle engine I've ever owned - and dead simple to maintain.

It probably will come down to the reliability of one type of drive unit over another and as I have no experience with jets at all I will defer to QC's comments above.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no question that the 3.0 is nearly bulletproof. Not smooth or fast (IMO adequate in 18ft or smaller) but in general jet boat engines require a bit more love, probably because they are often abused. However, huge asterisk - i dont know anything about this 1.8 motor. I do know earlier yamaha and sea doo jet boats were 2 stroke, and seem to have shorter lives based on posts here and elsewhere. I have a 2 stroke yamaha jetski and it is flawless, but I take very good care of it.

try to find owners online of the jetboat for the best advice. Having owned a 3.0 for years, I can vouch for it's fuel economy and durability. Never a hitch in 10 years.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I did an inspection once of an AR230. Really liked the boat, very good fit and finish. Here's a test on the 190. There are a lot of good things here, and with the single engine the economy isn't bad: http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?id=2583

This is more about whether or not you want a jet or an I/O. There is a lot different and generally speaking I don;t want a jet if I am in deep water. Some of that is pure snobishniss, and a jet can be a ton of fun. They are safe if you are worried about prop strikes, and of course contact with the bottom. They are very different to drive and that can be a negative safety issue until you completely understand how they work.

Same can be said for an I/O. Despite how well they track and steer etc. Boats are not cars, and for newbies either can get you in big trouble, and fast! I am not a jet hater, and I would not make this decision on fuel. In fact almost never should a boat decision be made on fuel. While it will be a huge part of your expense, the savings between two different setups is not going to make a difference of $20 on a typical weekend. I always say, you're gonna spend more than that on ice :)

These are very different packages, and you should be telling us more about what you plan to do with it, and where you plan to boat. What are other people running there? There may be reasons one setup is more popular than others. What do you want to do with it?