Re: Paint selection help.

buy a pint of white and mix it in until you get the shade you like

bob

65starcraft

Seaman

buy a pint of white and mix it in until you get the shade you like

bob

That might just work! I hadn't thought of that. I did talk to a kid at the local home improvement store about adding color to the white, but he told me they are not allowed to do that with this kind of paint. Then he came back a few minutes later and told me he could give me the pigments and I could mix it in. Not sure if that would work or not though.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

If you mix your own paint, what happens when you have to repaint, or touch up? I haven't had real good luck with rustoleum on boats, even with hardener put in. Used to use easypoxy from pettit, and I liked the results from it even tho others here didn't.

65starcraft

Seaman

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Here's a great example of the two colors of blue from Pettit in this thread here.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=434862

I wasn't sure about this paint because i have read some mixed reviews on here. Plus it doesn't match exactly. I might have to comprimise and find something close. I'm leaning towards the ocean blue I think.

nomrwrk

Seaman

I think the ocean blue will work well. If unsure, buy a small can and test the color - surface type will affect paint colors. Regarding paint application, surface cleaniness and type, air temperature, humidity and application thickness will affect how a paint will stick to a surface - follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter. If painting directly to aluminum, then you need to use a self-etching primer. If painting over original paint that has had all of the peeling paint removed, then I recommend using Pettit's tie-coat primer. It does a great job to create a barrier between paints that may not work well together and a surface to bond the new paint. When applying the paint, I lightly sand the tie-coat primer to roughen it up, use a shop vac to remove the dust, then use a very light damp rag to remove any remaining amounts of dust. I apply 3 thin coats of paint using natural fiber roller for smooth surfaces and sponge brush to "tip" the air bubbles. I let the paint dry just long enough that it will readily accept the 2nd and 3rd coats. Finally, I apply a clear coat that will protect the paint from chipping, scrapes and dock-rashes. I've done this on my boats and similar method on my boat trailers using Pettit's trailer coat primer with great success.

65starcraft

Seaman

Thanks again, I just ordered up some ocean blue. I wanna try and get some painting done this week and this weekend.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I hesitated for a long time before officially condemning the product. The majority of my issues (paint falling off the bottom in friggin' sheets) is due to my decision to not prime (despite being told I didn't have to). However, I don't believe that has much to do with the 2nd situation which is that the remaining paint is soft and very easily damaged. Also, I am not alone in this assessment. Tim Fives used it on his transom, same result, and another member (I really tried to find his thread but can't) who painted his Starcraft in textbook fashion with it and also had a similar experience. In MY OPINION, stick with Rustoleum or the Valspar paint w/ hardener or step up a two part marine paint. Skip the middle of the road single stage paints.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Now, see I've had just the opposite results. The last easy poxy I've used was probably 10 years ago, but it went on easy dried hard quickly and stayed on real well. It might be different now. I used Rustoleum over it and most of it flaked right off. Sanded tried it again and put a clear coat over top, and the same result, only in larger pieces one was about 10" X 16". I didn't like the finish on my jet even with hardener. Dull, no gloss, not sure what I did wrong.