1996 yamaha 40hp 3 cylinder with prime start assembly

futura40hp

Recruit
Hi i have the above engine that has a couple of running issues if i start the outboard it will idle for 1 min then just cut out if i adjust the red contol switch on the front of the prime start assembly it will idle fine but will not run fast at wot.

if i put the red control switch on the front of the prime start assembly to normal running and shift into gear it will run fast i.e will get to 30knots with out fault but as soon as i bring it back to idle it will just cut out.

i have tried cleaning carbs with compressed air new gasket kit etc checked compression new fuel new fuel filter check the timing on the side of the cdi and made sure the butterflies on the carbs are all linked correctly

any help would be great cheers colin:confused:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1996 yamaha 40hp 3 cylinder with prime start assembly

Did you check timing with a timing light to make sure it is in spec? My CDI was retarding timing too far at idle but WOT timing was fine , and had to be replaced to get it back into spec. Sounds like your pilot (idle) passages/jets are plugged, may need to get the carbs cleaned in sonic bath and then link and sync like manual calls for