Exhaust gasket source

Capt. Steelhead

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Everybody, Like to replace my exhaust gasket on my '91 120HP force motor that's the one ties into the lower cowling if it's not available is high temp silicone the way to go for repair I have a gasket it has been in question about leaking and causing the motor to not idle correctly when the cowling is on. I just fixed up the motor new rings crank seals and one new piston. I would hate to put the thing all back together to have the same problem of a exhaust leak. I was thinking of that stove gasketing material to make my own the old one isn't in too bad of shape. Any input from you experts is much appreciated. Regards, Paul

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Exhaust gasket source

Gasket is available and can be found right here at the iboats store.
also try boats, and then .net

Capt. Steelhead

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology this gasket is at the end of the exhaust snout. not the bottom of the power head. I'll look again but didn't see it maybe. Thanks, Paul

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

There is no gasket that goes with the exhaust snout that I am aware of. Some pictures may help here so we all can get it right.

Capt. Steelhead

Seaman Apprentice

Yeh good idea sorry about the confusion

Attachments

• IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Usually, and it varies from engine to engine, there are several holes inside the midleg where that flange seats against. Some were plugged with red plastic caps. Some later Force engines had two plastic tubes that snapped in. That gasket's purpose is to seal the midleg so water runs through the holes (or tubes) in a controlled amount. Thus, even with the gasket missing completely, no exhaust will work its way into the cowl because the match plate--on top of the exhaust tube--is sealed to the midleg with a light coating of silicone RTV and the gasket between the match plate and block.
In fact, the engine will run quite happily with the gasket completely gone.

Compared to some I have seen, yours is in decent condition. If you wish to replace it and can not find the original, make one out of a couple of layers of old inner tube or other thick rubber.

If you had idling problems because of exhaust entering the cowling, replace the rubber bellows at the rear or, if it is in good condition, make certain that the tapered part is seated correctly in the rear shroud.

Capt. Steelhead

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent help thank you all for the input/ answer, special coodos too Frank. Paul