Is it a 72 or 73

manus224

Recruit
Hi all,
I have recently purchased a sea nymph boat, it has a Johnson 65hp powershift II engine on it. The engine model number is 65273s and from this I have taken it to be a 1973 model, however having scanned through the net I am now thinking its a '72. Does anyone know for sure. Also does anyone know where I can get a manual for this motor.

manus224

Recruit
Is it a 72 or 73

Hi all,
I have recently purchased a sea nymph boat, it has a Johnson 65hp powershift II engine on it. The engine model number is 65273s and from this I have taken it to be a 1973 model, however having scanned through the net I am now thinking its a '72. Does anyone know for sure??. Also does anyone know where I can get a manual for this motor??

Any info anyone can give would be greatly appreciated

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Is it a 72 or 73

Well, 65273 is an EVINRUDE model number from 1972. If you have a Powershift II control box, it would be a mechanical shift motor, making it a 1973 or newer. Sounds like you've got a bit of a Frankenmotor.

What number is on the freeze/welch plug on the cylinder block?

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is a 1972 Evinrude 65hp Triumph Electric shift, my guess is someone lost the original cover and found a Johnson cover of same year. Service Manuals are easy to find, not sure if I'm allowed to tell you where to get it. Hope this helps you!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually "Hydro-Electric shift". Evinrude called it Selectric Shift. 1972 was the last year for it, 1973 was Powershift. There is a world of difference in the two systems.

Powershift uses a control with two cables, one for throttle and one for shift. Likewise, there is a shift lever on the powerhead. Hydro-Electric uses a control with only one cable, for throttle. No shift lever on powerhead. Shifting is done via an electric wire in the harness.

manus224

Recruit

Actually "Hydro-Electric shift". Evinrude called it Selectric Shift. 1972 was the last year for it, 1973 was Powershift. There is a world of difference in the two systems.

Powershift uses a control with two cables, one for throttle and one for shift. Likewise, there is a shift lever on the powerhead. Hydro-Electric uses a control with only one cable, for throttle. No shift lever on powerhead. Shifting is done via an electric wire in the harness.

wow this site is excellent, thanks all for the info and it is starting to make sense why I was having trouble finding out about this motor. I think you guys are right in that someone has stuck another engine cover on it.
I will take photos and put them on just to be sure. The control has only one cable from memory but will have to get out and check again. It has a pushbutton shift, three buttons, one for forward, one for neutral and one for reverse and only one throttle lever.

Im not sure if the motor is worth keeping but in the absence of being able to renew it at this stage I hope it will last me a little while anyway.
Thanks again all.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If it has buttons on the controls, then it is indeed a 1972 model year with hydroelectric shift....