Problem getting bow up to bow stop

Obiwandoc

Recruit
Looking for loading suggestions on how to get (and keep) the bow up to the bow-stop on the trailer. We took boat out on a maiden voyage for few hours. We returned and lined up well, drove boat onto trailer close to bow-stop, used winch to bring up rest of the way and put safety chain on. Though all was well, but when pulled out and onto level ground found the bow was about 6 inches away from the bow-stop. Tension on the safety chain and the winch strap like a piano wire. Winch is not able to pull boat up to bow-stop (24 foot boat about 4500 lbs, bunk trailer). I think the problem is the angle the trailer is in the water at the end of the ramp (very steep ramp), stern is floating too high and when comes down on trailer the bow falls back from the bow-stop. The boat seems to be seated on the bunks but my concerns are the amount of tension on the bow eye of the boat, and I don't want to travel very far with the boat not seated propperly on the trailer. I tried a ramp with less of an incline but still had the same result. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Problem getting bow up to bow stop

I assume you haven't had this boat off the trailer before. There is some type of grease you can put on your bunks to allow your boat to slide easier on/off, but I think your problem is that you have a stretchy winch strap. Is this strap rated for the boat? There is a type of strap that is very stretchy under maximum load, and there is one made of a seat belt type of material that will not stretch. I have never known anyone who has pulled the bow eye out.......
Try getting up to about 5-10mph in the parking lot and slam the brakes. This will slide the boat forward and hopefully it will now slide anymore until you launch again. When you just pull out and the bunks are wet, accelerating up any sort of incline you will have the boat slide back. Let me know how slamming the brakes work. (Slowly build up speed until you get a feeling of how fast to move so far)
Does your winch have a low gear? I can load my 19' tri-haul on a steep ramp without use of the low gear, but to move the boat on level ground while on the trailer requires the low gear due to friction being higher.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Just crank it up to the bow stop, that is why the trailer has a winch on it in the first place. If it wont then you need a better winch.

fishrdan

Admiral

I agree with MH, if you can't winch it, get a better winch. I bet a 2 speed winch would move your boat.

Steep ramp and you drove the boat almost all the way to the bow stop, sounds like the trailer was backed into the water too far, I did the same thing when I first got my current boat. If the trailer is further out of the water, the boat might seat on the bunks better, you'll have to experiment on how deep the trailer needs to be.

With my trailer, I back in all the way to wet the bunks, then pull forward until the fender tops are lapping at the water's surface. Get back in the boat, line it up, hit the trailer at moderate speed, then crank it up the rest of the way. Shallow ramp or steep ramp, I load the same way. It took a couple times to figure out the sweet spot for loading my boat and you'll probably have to do the same.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Several things to check out and give attention.

1 you need a 2 speed winch for a boat that size.

2 you need to get the boat in proper position on the trailer, THEN check to make sure the trailer is adjusted properly to fit the boat. Proper winch stand position, bow stop height, etc.

3 to keep boat in position after loading, place a chain from bow eye down to trailer tongue, keep it snug, use a turnbuckle to secure it. I finally did this last year, taking JB's advice. Do not rely on the winch, strap, or a slack chain to keep the boat on the trailer.

4 you may need to experiment with trailer depth while loading.

5 sometimes, it is necessary to load the boat, secure it, pull the trailer ahead 2-3 feet, then snug up the winch again as the angle of the boat has changed.

6 coating your bunks can help, regular old car wax smeared on the carpet works well and won't wash off in the water.

salty87

Commander

5 sometimes, it is necessary to load the boat, secure it, pull the trailer ahead 2-3 feet, then snug up the winch again as the angle of the boat has changed.

there's nice downhill section on my way home that tightens everything up for me. or you could also carefully tap your truck brakes.

Obiwandoc

Recruit

Thanks for all the suggestions. Strap definitely good & strong (seatbelt type material). I was going to try hitting the brakes but I was a little fearful, and my wife had a cow at the idea when I brought it up. I am going to show her these posts, grease up the bunks and see about a 2 speed winch. Thanks

fishrdan

Admiral

grease up the bunks

Be careful with adding anything that will make the bunks slick, people have dumped their boat on the ramp after applying bunk slick. If you go this route, don't take off the safety chain and winch strap until the boat is over water, then it doesn't matter if it slips off. (you're not suppose to completely unbuckle the boat before backing down the ramp, but people do, and I have too...)

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Looking for loading suggestions on how to get (and keep) the bow up to the bow-stop on the trailer. We took boat out on a maiden voyage for few hours. We returned and lined up well, drove boat onto trailer close to bow-stop, used winch to bring up rest of the way and put safety chain on. Though all was well, but when pulled out and onto level ground found the bow was about 6 inches away from the bow-stop. Tension on the safety chain and the winch strap like a piano wire. Winch is not able to pull boat up to bow-stop (24 foot boat about 4500 lbs, bunk trailer). I think the problem is the angle the trailer is in the water at the end of the ramp (very steep ramp), stern is floating too high and when comes down on trailer the bow falls back from the bow-stop. The boat seems to be seated on the bunks but my concerns are the amount of tension on the bow eye of the boat, and I don't want to travel very far with the boat not seated propperly on the trailer. I tried a ramp with less of an incline but still had the same result. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Obi, I fought those same things for several months last season. Tried bunk lube and some other things but was never satisfied. Finally broke down for a Powerwinch Model 912 (you can buy it here on iboats). I can tell you one thing for sure....you are going to dread the loading problems the entire time you're out on the water...that's alot of boat you have!

Obiwan, make sure that you back the trailer in far enough to wet the bunks before buying bunk grease. That should give you the "slick" that you need to power the boat up a little further with the winch. I have a smaller boat but get some stretch in the winch strap too. More accurately, the strap isn't 100% taught when bringing the boat onto the trailer, so when I pull up the ramp, the strap tightens on the winch spindle allowing the boat to drift back and inch or two as I pull up. One or two clicks of the winch later it is good to go.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class

Obiwan, make sure that you back the trailer in far enough to wet the bunks before buying bunk grease. That should give you the "slick" that you need to power the boat up a little further with the winch....

Yup, that'll solve your problem. Also, once you've placed the boat in its proper position on the trailer, make note of where the crank handle is. That's the position you'll want it to be every time put in, regardless of which ramp you're at. You'll know that the boat is "seated" properly against the bow stop.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Be careful with adding anything that will make the bunks slick, people have dumped their boat on the ramp after applying bunk slick. If you go this route, don't take off the safety chain and winch strap until the boat is over water, then it doesn't matter if it slips off. (you're not suppose to completely unbuckle the boat before backing down the ramp, but people do, and I have too...)

I have seen someone dump a brand new Lund on the ramp that way. Pretty sure it was their first go with a roller trailer......

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

i can't believe ANYONE would actually unhook any boat before its over the water. Even on my bunk trailers that I know the boat sticks to like glue, the safety chain and winch aren't touched until the boat is touching water. Yes, it means I have to get my feet wet. Fishermen are the worst about unhooking before unloading, they will melt if they get wet at all, so must absolutely avoid getting any part of their person near the water. (yes, I've also seen more than one fishing boat unloaded a little prematurely!)

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Winch and trailer setup are obvious things to look at but you could also consider something like bunkaps which allow the hull to slide more easily.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

This worked great for me as I was having the same problem a couple of year ago. Get you bunk wet by totally submerging. Then pull up so you can see your bunks. Obviously you dont want to have bunks completely submerged when cranking on. Crank it on like you normally do and once you think its snug go into your vehicle and back up just slightly so you sumerge bunks a little more and crank some more. Pull up, check and if shes still a little short drop her back in again deep and crank a little more. This worked great for me and boats always tight to the bow stop.

nlain

Commander

I am with smokingcrater, never unhook the boat before it is in the water. There is a sweet spot when backing the trailer in the water that will allow you to winch to the bow roller/stop and the boat will stay there when you pull out. I had to find that with the ramp I use the most, it is a steep ramp, I can get my boat all the way to the bow roller and it will stay there when I pull out.