shift bellow ? replacement

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
its on a 83 120 mec. just redone transome and all, so just put all back together and took it out for a water test leak, well it leaked:facepalm: in water looked like shift bellow cause moved it and would not leak as bad, well got home and found a hole in the shift bellow.... now can i replace it without pulling the whole outdrive again will the shift cable pull through or do i got to pull it all again ???

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: shift bellow ? replacement

ok could not rest until i could get this out from my own inspection there was no way to get it off with out pulling the out drive, but did not pull the bell housing, got the wire out easy but the sleave the wire gos into was another story took the nut out and the sleave twisted into so it looks like a new shift cable and i dont know how i did not miss how the bellow was rigged (all newer from past owner said and looked new) first they tryed a zip tie wraped in black tape and then a pice of wire twisted on it. so back to the parts list:facepalm:

Pete104

Lieutenant

Section 4-A in manual #6 is step by step. Life will be easier with OEM parts + power tune!

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i got a CLYMER official shop manual, which i dont like to well it gives sum info. but you pretty much have to know it by heart to find what your lookn for.

fishrdan

Admiral

i got a CLYMER official shop manual

Good, that will make a handy kneeling pad while you are fighting the shift cable through the bellow :D (Clymer and Seloc don't get much respect around here... :rolleyes:)

Go to 4share and download manual #6 Pete suggested.

Oh yeah, buy the OEM Mercruiser/Quicksilver shift cable kit, it's worth the extra money.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Replaced many shift cables without pulling the drive... Just be careful not to put too tight a bend in the cable or you'll be replacing that too, and then the drive must come off...

Chris........