1990 alumaweld jet, advice? anyone have one? 351w v8 20'

scottconsoli

Cadet
I am considering buying a 1990., 20' alumaweld jet boat with a 351 windsor, v8, it has 1200 hours on it, is that alot, it was bought ar a goverment auction originally, is 1200 alot, do the gov;t boats get beat up on or is it a good thing as it was pronbably maintained well? what kind of seped will this boat do and what kind of water will it draw, does it have good pickup? the boat is in california and i am in nj so i cant test drive it but the guy says it runs great, he sounds very honest and i get a bgood vibe from him, he is a boat mechanic, anything anyone can tel me r if anyone has one that i could talk to you would be helpful,

scott

Last edited by a moderator:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: 1990 alumaweld jet, advice? anyone have one? 351w v8 20'

1200 is medium to high for an inboard engine. 1200 for a small block jet boat engine is high. 1200 for a jet boat that was probably used by law enforcement is EXTREMELY high... You get the idea!

Yes, it was probably maintained very well, but it also has lots of hard hours on it. All the maintenance in the world doesn't reduce metal stress fatigue, and it won't stop the con rod from exiting out the side of the block.

scottconsoli

Cadet
Re: 1990 alumaweld jet, advice? anyone have one? 351w v8 20'

the only thing is that they say an hour equates to 30 miles, thats like a car onlly having 36000 miles on it i thought< either way a little scarey, n anyone else have one of these or something similar with a car motor running a jet?