New boat owner, first problem with a Force 120

WV350Z

Recruit
Hey guys I am a new boat owner and just bought this boat off a guy and took it out for my first fishing trip. We had it up to 40mph few times heading up river...started and ran several times from 830AM to 3PM until I decided to head toward the locks. I was going around 40 and a guy in a Nitro decided to fly by from behind me going easily 55 mph and getting caught up in his backwash I slowed down to maybe 20mph to ease over his waves.

We'll once everything settled I got back into it and felt like it hesitated just a bit...we'll I get about 1.5 miles down and it just loss power, had the throttle all the way down and it barely was making any power til it finally stalled out. It would turn over and start to fire up and run and and would die out, did the same when you had it in Neutral and gave it gas just died out. cranked and cranked couldnt get it to fire over and take off. Ended up trolling 2 miles back upstream was such a pain in the ***.

We had tried the trolling motor battery and it did the same thing, the boats batter was brand new he just replaced it the day we test drove it and bought it. The batter got to the point where it would barely even crank it also you could lower the motor but didnt have enough to raise it. When we finally got it back and on the trailer I switched batterys again to try and raise the motor and the negative terminal on that battery was super hot! the other battery did raise the motor. Took the batter to Autozone to get the battery tested and it came back good.

Im just kind of lost on where to start with it, Any info would be appreciated! thanks in Advanced!
Jim

BTW the boat is a 1993 Quantum 1700 series 1 owner that hadnt been driven in 3 years and before his last use he had just had the carbs cleaned and new NGK plugs put in it.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532844_10150696874433183_679278182_9577526_2130495961_n.jpg

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New boat owner, first problem with a Force 120

Sounds fuel related and probably either plugged pre screen on the fuel pickup tube.
Also check the fuel vent, if not venting then the fuel pump is unable to pump fuel properly.
You may want to check and replace fuel filter as well.
Now I should ask did the motor by any chance take on to much water in the cowling, and when the motor died out
on you did it bog down and die or just stop all together??

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If it's been sitting for three years, first thing you should do is replace the fuel pump diaphragm and water pump impeller. Both are relatively easy to do and if they fail, you'll be dead in the water. A bad water pump impeller can overheat the motor and possibly do permanent damage. Also do a compression check to make sure everything with the pistons, rings and cylinders is OK.

Here's a thread that has some guidelines for dealing with an outboard that hasn't been run in a while. It's not specific to Force outboards, but it covers all the basics.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

Nice looking boat by the way.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Next time ...

Don't continue to drive the boat when it is trying to tell you that something is wrong.

May quite possible have multiple issues.

Overheating situation.
Fuel system problem.
Failed stator and/or voltage rectifier.

"Took the batter to Autozone to get the battery tested and it came back good."

Good as in fully charged?
Or good as in it will hold a charge, but was drained down?

Check compression and spark on all 4 cylinders before going any further.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

"He just had the carbs cleaned" That one statement makes me VERY suspicious about piston damage. I would rather have an engine on which the previous owner did nothing. Before you do anything else, check the compression ratio of all four cylinders!

WV350Z

Recruit

sorry its taken me so long to respond. Yesterday I installed new NGK 2622 plugs, took back the NEW battery and it failed testing and replaced it. Cleaned the carbs and bowls and found some wonderful little hard stuff in the bottom of the bowls so I cleaned it all out. I adjusted the carbs to specs from the forum I found and took the boat out for a drive that evening tuning it...starts right off the bat idles and runs smooth through the rpms. One thing I am noticing is it leaking out the carbs, one of my problems Im finding and guessing they will need to be rebuilt.
Took it down river and half way down it lost power again so my buddy reach back to check the primer ball and it is losing pressure he pumped it up and bam their is the power again and never had a issue again that night! but I believe I have a fuel leak of some sort or weak primer ball. I am picking up a new Merc. ball and inline fuel filter tomorrow.

I am trying to find the dang fuel tank on this boat lol Like I said it is a Quantum 1700, I am guessing I have to take the livewells out to get to the gas tank to check out the pump and ect?

thanks in advanced!