Trouble getting '81 9.9 evinrude to start consistently

kgronseth

Seaman
Hi,
I've got an '81 9.9 horsepower evinrude that I am having some trouble getting started. I got the motor mid summer last year and didn't have any issues until this spring. I took it out last week and it seems to take quite a few pulls to get it started if I get it started at all, but ran fine once i was able to get it started. However it wouldnt start at the end of the day on the lake, and I needed the trolling motor to get me back to the launch. I was noticing the primer bulb wasn't getting firm when pumping it. The tank and fuel line were a little older so I decided to replace them. I bought a new 3 gallon tank, fuel line connector and new fuel line kit.

I hooked all the new stuff up and still the primer bulb didn't get firm. Today, after pumping the bulb a bunch and it not getting firm i tried starting it with the muffs on...after 4-5 pulls with the choke out it wouldnt start, I then put the choke in and it started after 2 pulls. It runs fine at idle and and it ran fine when I got it started on the lake last week.

I don't have much experience with outboards, any thoughts on why I'm having trouble starting it or why the bulb won't get firm?

Also, it was winterized last fall and I am using new gas.

Thanks!

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trouble getting '81 9.9 evinrude to start consistently

While I am also fairly new to outboards it sounds like your carb needs an overhaul. The primer is supposed to fill your fuel bowl in you carb, and a needle valve "shuts off" the gas flow when the bowl is filled...thus the primer bulb gets "firm". If the little needle is dirty, worn, etc. it would let the motor "flood" easier. Let's have some additional opinions on this, please. Not sure what else it could be if everything else is new....If the tank is not vented for some reason it would cause a different problem...so I am out of ideas.

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try priming it with the hood off. If you are able to keep pumping the primer bulb, and gas is flowing, it should be leaking somewhere. Out of a line, or out the front of the carb, or maybe a bad gasket at the back of the carb or at the bowl. Definitely sounds like a fuel issue.

Haffiman

Commander

When you get your primer bulb and system working, pay some attention to the spring holding the choke closed. On those 'oldies' it sometimes needs to be 'tightened' another turn to keep the choke closed. However if tightened to much, it will easily flood.