Dockside Refueling

toms4w

Cadet
I have a problem refueling from a 5-10g tank when the boat ('95 Four Winns, 17.5 ft, 3.0L OMC) is in the water. It takes in about 1-2 gal then the line fills up and overflows (whether near empty or 3/4 full). It goes down after taking the boat for a spin or sitting overnight. When on a trailer at a gas station, this only rarely happens. It seems to be related to the rate at which the fuel is going in? The faster it goes in the better it seems to be. The vent line seems to be OK (I can see and hear it getting flushed out when filling at a gas station at a fast rate), but it must be a vent line issue - any thoughts??

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dockside Refueling

With the boat in the water,the stern is down and the vent line at the tank could be blocking up.Take a look and see.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with prock. Find the vent point on the tank. put your weight in the boat such that the vent point is the highest it cn be. May be a simple as standing on the othe side of the boat while filling.

KRS

Banned

"vent point" being the location of the vent tube as it comes out of the top of the gas tank.

toms4w

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. I have had the drive all the way up when refueling, and tried positioning 2 other people at different points in the boat to change the angle. The vent line comes out right under the gas cap - I'll look at it some more.

Purebreed

Seaman Apprentice

It could also be the angle of the fill tube. I used to have the occasional problem filling up as well. Never became consistent enough to worry about it. I just had to fill slowly.