1994 Evinrude 9.9 electrical question.

GeorgiaBII

Recruit
Hello all, I'm new here but I did look at the stickies above and tried to search but got overloaded with info not quite what I need help with.

I just bought a 94 evinrude 9.9 2-stroke for my sailboat with electric start.

The problem I'm having is the engine to remote harness is missing. So I've got to reproduce this wiring. I won't be using a regular remote instead I'll have a couple switches and a push button to control the engine.

So far I've had no issues until I went looking for the engine kill.

I've wired in the battery connections, the primer, and the starter solenoid.

I have two wires left.

a Yellow with grey or silver strip

a Brown with blue strip.

The brown with blue is a single wire coming out of the head of the engine, I suspect this is the overheat sensor wire?

I don't know what the yellow with grey or silver strip is.

My other thought is I'm missing a connection.

Please help.

Thanks,

James

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1994 Evinrude 9.9 electrical question.

so far i didnt see any overheat sensor in 9.9/15

GeorgiaBII

Recruit

These are the 2 wires that I have left unconnected. Maybe the pictures will help identify them.

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

The connector on the far right is connected to the second from the left. Both are yellow with gray/silver tracer.

Thank you.

James.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are right that the sensor that goes into the thermostat area is an overheat kill switch, but honestly, I'm not sure how it works, because mine isn't connected to anything either. If you find out, I'd like to know so I can connect mine to something.

GeorgiaBII

Recruit

You are right that the sensor that goes into the thermostat area is an overheat kill switch, but honestly, I'm not sure how it works, because mine isn't connected to anything either. If you find out, I'd like to know so I can connect mine to something.

I believe it produces a ground when the engine reaches overheat. It's wired to a buzzer in the remote rather than killing the engine.

I found my engine shut down it was the yellow wire with grey tracer.

thanks for the help guys.