How much sleep do we need?

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
I rarely sleep more than 5 or 6 hours a night and always feel cheated as I?m desperate for more?..or am I?

Some people say that they only need 3 to 4 hours a night, others need 10.
I function well during the day and don?t spend all day yawning but I still crave a really good night?s sleep.
The flipside is that when we go away on holiday, I?ll be asleep for 2 days!

Is it a case of don?t fight it just get on with it?
If I wake at 4am just get up?
:confused:

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: How much sleep do we need?

You are sleeping when many of us (over in the Americas) are awake and vice versa . . .

I go for 7-8 hours, but no matter what, seem to get up early.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I rarely sleep more than 5 or 6 hours a night and always feel cheated as I’m desperate for more…..or am I?

Some people say that they only need 3 to 4 hours a night, others need 10.
I function well during the day and don’t spend all day yawning but I still crave a really good night’s sleep.
The flipside is that when we go away on holiday, I’ll be asleep for 2 days!

Is it a case of don’t fight it just get on with it?
If I wake at 4am just get up?
:confused:

People vary on sleep amounts. 6 hours plus I think is a good number.
I always have trouble with the jet lag and time difference on my Asian business trips. Takes about 3 days each end of the trip to get used to the time zone.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

When I was working, I slept about 7 hours a night. Since I retired, I average 8 hours ('cause I work harder now!) I feel well rested now and generally did when I was working too, but if I get 6 hours or less for more than one night in a row, I'm useless. Go figure. Must be a finely tuned machine! :p:facepalm:

But like you say, if I wake up really early and feel done sleeping, I don't get up because I know I'll be wanting to go to bed way too early the next day. Even if I'm not sleeping, I'm still resting.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I average 4-5 a night (not even in a row..:(). I have been this way for about 15 years now. Of course, I look roughly 110 years old...:rolleyes:

NYBo

Admiral

The average is 7 to 8 hours. However, some people require more, and some less. If you feel "cheated," your body may be telling you something, and you should listen. More and more research is showing how bad sleep deprivation is for our health.

coreybv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once I've slept my six hours I wake up and can't get back to sleep for anything. Unfortunately, I seem to be one of those people that actually "needs" 7 or 8 hours.

I'm baffled by the mattress commercials on TV that talk about waking up "refreshed" and "well rested". I don't think I've ever once experienced that my entire life. I'm damn near homicidal until I'm into my third cup of coffee.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

7-8 for me - my granma ( rest her soul ) got 5 - up at 4 every morning. Worked 7, days a week until 87, years of age. I never knew her to ever take a day off. As I have gotten older ( 50 ) I have noticed that sometimes I wake up after 3-4, and feel wide awake. They say you need less as you age? Maybe this is happening to me?

puddle jumper

Captain

To really know how much sleep you need. You have to have to go to bed when your tired and get up when you wake and rested. You need to do this with out the stress of having to get up. Over time you will acquire your sleep pattern and wake rested every time.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

They say its the regimine that's most important. Going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time every day is what works for me. If I get up too early I'm napping in the afternoon. Same if I go to bed late. i still wake up at the same time but I'm not feeling rested. When everything goes as planned, I'm fully rested and ready to go on 6 hours of sleep. It does me no good to go to bed earlier so I can get up earlier, I'm all messed up then.

I should mention that this regimine thing became more important after I turned 50.

JRJ

Commander

I like to sleep about an hour and a half......then I like to get up and pee. Sleep may in fact be highly over-rated, but I don't sleep long enough to know. I used to have dreams that included woman built like brick out-houses..........now I dream about finding the toilet in time :facepalm:

puddle jumper

Captain

I like to sleep about an hour and a half......then I like to get up and pee. ........now I dream about finding the toilet in time :facepalm:[/QUOT]

Amen to that and the older I get the worse it gets.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

I like to sleep about an hour and a half......then I like to get up and pee. Sleep may in fact be highly over-rated, but I don't sleep long enough to know. I used to have dreams that included woman built like brick out-houses..........now I dream about finding the toilet in time :facepalm:

Yup, same here. Normal bedtime (during the week) is 9:30pm. Wake up at around 1:30 for a pee. Spend the next 20 minutes staring at the clock. :mad: Wake up at 4:45 and spend the next 15 minutes staring at the clock until the alarm goes off.:facepalm:

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well well --- only one thing to say: Dont talk to me untill after 2 cups of coffee ,
Lights out @ 2200 hrs , coffee pot is set for 0550 hrs , Roll call is 0600hrs and alarm clock is set for Foghorn !!
Been that way since 1959 and too old to change now !!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I sleep 6 hours. Doesn't matter when I go to bed. I could go to bed at 9 pm, 11pm or my normal midnight. Deosn't matter how tired I am. I'm up 6 hours after my pillow hits the pillow. It's been that way for the past 20 years.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Really depends on your life style I guess, If I could get 6 straight I am a happy person.
If I get 6 but I am awakened every 1-2 hours not great sleep, probably stressed out.
Best sleep is when you remember dreaming (REM) thats a good deep sleep.