Removable handrail for entering boat ????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
As mom gets older (75), it is getting more difficult for her to get into/out of the boat.
Specifically, stepping down into the boat from the top of the gunnel to the floor, or from the floor to the top of the gunnel when exiting.
Height is about 23", but can be as much as 30" if stepping up onto a dock.

I have rigged a small step inside the boat, but it sure would be much safer if she had a secure handrail to hold onto while climbing in/out.

Gunnel is 6" wide, aluminum.

Looking for ideas to mount a base of some kind, that I can insert or secure a handrail to.
Also need some sort of handrail that she can reach while standing up on the dock, and also as she descends into the boat.

I dont's have a problem with drilling holes in the gunnel, but don't want to drill into the floor, or secure a trip hazard to it.

Thinking about securing handrail to gunnel, and to center console.
Must be easily removable, as I want to get it out of the way after she is in the boat.

SO, I need your ideas to get this done. Suffering from mental block on what materials to use, and how to secure to gunnel.

Here is an old photo from before I redid the interior.

00 1a.jpg

Lets hear your suggestions for design and materials.

Thanks guys.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removable handrail for entering boat ????

Probably the easiest way I can think of is take a square piece of flat steel or aluminum than take a piece of tubing about maybe 3-4 inches and weld it to the plate than bolt that to the gunnel and that's your mount. Now you get a piece of tubing just slightly smaller to fit inside. You can than have it bent or cut and welded so it goes straight up a few feet and than comes back down at an angle to just above the gunnel and turns back and attaches to the upright portion so it looks roughly like a sail. Than stick it in drill a hole through the mount and rail that you can put something like a hitch pin through to secure it. That way she should have a good secure hand hold at the dock and in the boat and it would be quickly removable and small enough to stow out of the way. Plus no trip hazard on the floor. If you want to get really creative you could flush mount it into the gunnel like a rod holder only straight up and down. Just my first thought on the matter. Good luck with your project.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Just looking at the pic again and with a hook mount you could easily secure the rail under the gunnel when not in use. You could also mount a second mount on the other side if you wanted so you could dock on either side and still use it.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Install a vertical flush mount rod holder on the gunwale, (and another one on the
top of the console near the edge if you think you need it) and stick a 4’ piece of
wooden closet pole/dowel rod/shovel handle into it.

Perko.jpg

When your mom’s not using it, remove the pole and you have a rod holder!

Or install Mate Series Combination Rod and Cup Holders, and you'll have bonus
cup holders for the gunwale and console!
I just got two. They're very high quality thick cast stainless steel.
http://www.mateseries.com/

MateSeries.jpg

My 75 year old mother uses a crab net handle stuffed into my gunwale rod holder to help
enter and exit the boat at the dock.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Damn I guess I was over thinking things. :facepalm:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

roscoe.

i think the problem you have is storage here.

you are looking at a step with a hand rail.....and that means stowage.

but i was looking at your boat and thinking about that bow rail.........hmmm.....now,....it that was on a pivot elbow with a retractable fold out base.........

hmmmmmmmmm

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok, some good ideas here, keep 'em coming.

I have a few of my own too now, have to investigate.
My ideas seem to cost $$$.

Can't attach to the top of the console, it is full, gps chartplotter, fish sonar, coffee mug holder, and its enclosed with a windshield.
But the sides are open for attachments.

Like the broom handle idea, but probably won't work for mom, except to club me over the head with.
I've been thinking about a flush mount vertical rod holder to use as landing net storage. Gonna have to think more on this.

"hmmm.....now,....if that was on a pivot elbow with a retractable fold out base........."

Not even sure what that means, but if you want to engineer and install it, I'm game. Please try to keep the weight below 500#, and the cost below $2000. Maybe I should look into installing a cheery picker and boom. LOL

I may have to move project to rear, attaching to gunnel and front of splashwell.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Goes in the rod holder and easy to store.

handle.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Goes in the rod holder and easy to store.

View attachment 141018

Nice. And not too expensive either.

Wondering how sturdy and steady it is, as it is a 1.5" tube, fitting into a 2" rod holder.

Found 1 review that said it was wobbly, and 2 that said it was a good product.

Can't find and info on height.

Anyone have one of these?