Checking hull foam?

outkast7222

Cadet
Is there a good way to tell if the foam in the hull (not under the deck) is water logged? I have a older (1982) Grumman 4.6 Sportsman that has the flotation foam in the walls rather than under the deck but I don't want to drill the hundred or better rivets to find out that it was not necessary especially since I am pretty sure it is structural and will need to be filled with poured in foam to keep the rigidity of the boat intact. The few spots I can get to it there is no obvious signs of water or wetness but I don't know if feel is really a good indication.

rickryder

Commander
Re: Checking hull foam?

Weigh the boat? The only way I know of is to drill core samples..... Maybe one of the pros will chime in on this one...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What year is your boat? Has it been taking on water? Has your boat been exposed to the elements and taken on a lot of storm water?

Verticle foam is a much better application than horizontal foam because it will shed and drain water. water seeks it's own level and will seep down.

Unless your boat has been exposed to a lot of internal water I wouldn't worry about it.

On the other hand, drilling out the rivets, checking the foam, and replacing the rivets sounds like a good excuse to play with the boat on a rainy day... if you like doing that kind of thing.

outkast7222

Cadet

I am not completely sure about the boats storage history but when I bought it the deck and transom were gutted. I did a half-assed job putting a deck in it four years ago and has been kept dry since then. I should not have been so impatient when I did it and took the time to check then but was in a hurry to get on the water.

I drilled a dozen or so holes under the trim that runs around the deck and the foam came out dry and crispy so I am thinking it is good?

I guess I won't know for sure until this fall when it gets gutted again and a new deck installed (this time the right way) and some updating done to it.