Replacement distributor/ignition coil recommendations?

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I started up my recently purchased '93 Four Winns (carb'd 5.0 OMC Cobra I/O (Ford 302)) for the first time today after replacing the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor (as well as changed the motor oil and gear lube), and it sounds to me like it's missing when I give it some throttle.

I opened up the distributor and this is what I saw:

imag0092gp.jpg

Now I haven't had much experience with distributors, but that I think is an old, nasty looking distributor that has been upgraded to electronic rather than points, right?
And a crappy Accel ignition coil?

I'm thinking it's about time to replace the entire distributor and get a new coil, and am looking for suggestions.
Keep in mind that I just changed the spark plugs and wires with quality OEM parts, so I'd rather not replace them again.
Would you go for an upgraded electronic unit, or keep it old-school with points?

This caught my eye; not sure if it's electronic or points though?
http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/th...less,breakerless,msd,mallory,pertronix/Detail

I've heard good things about this brand, but it would cost me a bit more as I would need to add a coil as well.
http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/the-973/D200801-Pertronix--Chev/Detail

Any suggestions are appreciated,
Thanks!

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacement distributor/ignition coil recommendations?

It's been a while, but that might be the stock unit. They used some timing advance setups like that on electronic ignitions and the pickup looks familiar also. I don't know if the coil is marine or not.

James

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's been a while, but that might be the stock unit. They used some timing advance setups like that on electronic ignitions and the pickup looks familiar also. I don't know if the coil is marine or not.

James
Interesting... after doing some research, I think you may be right. Apparently OMC started doing some electronic "point-less" ignition in 1992.
However, that doesn't really change the fact that I'd like to replace the distributor... just need to decide what to replace it with.
It sounds like I will need a new module as well as a new distributor and coil if I go electronic; it gets pricey pretty quick.
Any idea where I could find a direct replacement distributor, ie. OEM?

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright, so after doing even more research, I've found that it seems OEM distributors for this model engine are unavailable ("obsolete" on parts websites), so my only options are aftermarket. I can either go electronic (~$375 in all) or old-school points (~$300 in all).
I'm definitely leaning towards electronic; in particular, this distributor/coil:
http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/th...less,breakerless,msd,mallory,pertronix/Detail

and the necessary module for use with an OMC drive:
http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/the-2362/423-dsh-3000-CDI-Use-with/Detail

These products should cover all my bases and be completely plug and play.

Two questions:
1) Will this electronic distributor maintain any sort of timing alteration like the stock distributor?
2) Will upgrading to this electronic distributor make setting the timing more complicated/difficult? I was planning on having a mechanic do that, as I've never done anything timing related before, and don't really trust myself;
I just don't want for a mechanic to be unable to set the timing correctly (or turn away my business entirely) due to having aftermarket parts.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Alright, so after doing even more research, I've found that it seems OEM distributors for this model engine are unavailable ("obsolete" on parts websites), so my only options are aftermarket. I can either go electronic (~$375 in all) or old-school points (~$300 in all).
I'm definitely leaning towards electronic; in particular, this distributor/coil:

and the necessary module for use with an OMC drive:
http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/the-2362/423-dsh-3000-CDI-Use-with/Detail

These products should cover all my bases and be completely plug and play.

Two questions:
1) Will this electronic distributor maintain any sort of timing alteration like the stock distributor?

2) Will upgrading to this electronic distributor make setting the timing more complicated/difficult? I was planning on having a mechanic do that, as I've never done anything timing related before, and don't really trust myself;
I just don't want for a mechanic to be unable to set the timing correctly (or turn away my business entirely) due to having aftermarket parts.

If you have found a reason that distributor is making the motor run poorly it would be worth changing now. If not I would find the reason the motor runs poorly and fix that first. Then run the boat for a while to see what else you might need. You may find that you have plenty of things that don't work to spend your money on. If your funding is not limited then go ahead and replace the distributor. It would be a shame to spend the dist money and then find out the reason it runs poorly is a seperate costly issue.

James

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is company that I have been considering when my standard old fashioned points go. http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/dist/billet_marine.aspx
From what I have read pertronix is great product and their coils get great reviews....and they are marine grade.

If you have found a reason that distributor is making the motor run poorly it would be worth changing now. If not I would find the reason the motor runs poorly and fix that first. Then run the boat for a while to see what else you might need. You may find that you have plenty of things that don't work to spend your money on. If your funding is not limited then go ahead and replace the distributor. It would be a shame to spend the dist money and then find out the reason it runs poorly is a seperate costly issue.

James

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I see a lot of links on this page to Chevy distributors. You do know they won't fit in a Ford don't you ?????

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So after doing some research, I figured out that the distributor is actually OEM; apparently around 1993 they began switching over to "point-less" electronic units.

I've also discovered that the ignition coil on there is not a marine coil but rather a universal automotive coil, so I've ordered a new OEM coil and wire, as well as a new fuel filter. I'm thinking it's possible that the automotive coil may have started to go since it was not designed for a marine application...
If replacing these still doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to take it into a shop to have the misfire diagnosed; if it is the distributor, I'm going to see if they can salvage my existing one, and if they can't I will try to get an aftermarket direct replacement as the OEM distributor is no longer available.

Anyone know of a direct OEM replacement distributor for this motor?
The closest I was able to find was a Mallory marine distributor for the Ford 302, but it is a points style distributor, while this boat came with an electronic "point-less" setup. Would a points-style distributor be plug and play since the boat is set up for a point-less distributor? Would I have to change the module etc.?

Thanks!

a70eliminator

Captain

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So after doing some research, I figured out that the distributor is actually OEM; apparently around 1993 they began switching over to "point-less" electronic units.

I've also discovered that the ignition coil on there is not a marine coil but rather a universal automotive coil, so I've ordered a new OEM coil and wire, as well as a new fuel filter. I'm thinking it's possible that the automotive coil may have started to go since it was not designed for a marine application...
If replacing these still doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to take it into a shop to have the misfire diagnosed; if it is the distributor, I'm going to see if they can salvage my existing one, and if they can't I will try to get an aftermarket direct replacement as the OEM distributor is no longer available.

Anyone know of a direct OEM replacement distributor for this motor?
The closest I was able to find was a Mallory marine distributor for the Ford 302, but it is a points style distributor, while this boat came with an electronic "point-less" setup. Would a points-style distributor be plug and play since the boat is set up for a point-less distributor? Would I have to change the module etc.?

Thanks!

I would leave the distributor alone for now and the accel coil should be fine it doesn't know the difference.
You mentioned changing plugs and wires, are you 100% sure the firing order is good, it's easy to cross two cylinders and still have a running motor, If all is good then a compression test on each cylinder will rule out a mechanical problem, then start looking at electrical and fuel.

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would leave the distributor alone for now and the accel coil should be fine it doesn't know the difference.
You mentioned changing plugs and wires, are you 100% sure the firing order is good, it's easy to cross two cylinders and still have a running motor, If all is good then a compression test on each cylinder will rule out a mechanical problem, then start looking at electrical and fuel.
Holy crap! I just went out and took a look, and although it's dark and all I had to see was a flashlight, I think the #6 and #7 spark plug wires are swapped!
This should be the right firing order, correct?

2055u.jpg

I would be so thrilled if it were that simple! I will double check and swap them if they are indeed wrong tomorrow.

And to answer your question, I had the boat inspected by a shop before I bought it (have only owned the boat for less than 2 weeks) and they told me that the compression was good, it just had a slight miss due to what he believed were the wrong spark plug wires (crappy aftermarket)... that's why I gave the boat a full tune-up. I think the previous owner used cheap parts and didn't really know what he was doing, so I wouldn't be surprised if he installed the wires incorrectly (I put the replacement OEM ones in the same order as I found them, assuming it was right).