1984 Evinrude 150 hp VRO wiring

paul1201dog

Cadet
I am installing a new VRO on my motor. The old one I think is original because there is no, "No Oil" warning wiring attached. I purchased the new pump and required harnes 174710. I have one question about wiring it. There are four wires, Grey, connect to grey wire position on terminal board. Black, connect to ground, and two tan wires connect to temperature sending unit in series. Only part that has me confused is is says to wire in series? On crossflow models temp sending unit is on starboard side and loop models it is on port. I have not looked yet maybe it is self explanatory but just posing the question on how to wire those tan wires in series?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Evinrude 150 hp VRO wiring

If you don't have a factory wiring diagram to refer to, check the second post at the top of this forum. You will find many wiring diagrams that will help with your issue. FYI, Your engine came from the factory with two temp/sensors switches (not senders). One in each head. These are a solid light tan wire. According to the 84 diagram the wiring harness may have a "no oil" wire already dedicated to the fuel pump. It's at the bottom of the diagram between the two overheat sensors.

paul1201dog

Cadet
Re: 1984 Evinrude 150 hp VRO wiring

Thanks for the info. I checked the wiring diagrams and it seems my motor matches the '85 diag. I have a shop manual and had that page marked also but the color diagrams are so much better. I have a Anniversary Edition motor according to BRP, so it is between a 1984/1985 model year, as I understand it. My motor has power packs not cdi units. Funny though, I had to replace most of the electronic components and got those all from CDI without a hitch. We are having some rain today so when it clears I'll get started see what I can do. I have two tan wires to connect so that is my confusion.