1955 johnson sea horse 10 hp broken

hello, my johnson sea horse was getting water in the gear case, so i took it apart put in a new o ring seal put it back together, and i can not get it into reverse now, the shift lever just will not go into reverse. i actually had to replace the lever due to breaking it. Also my tilt mechanism is not working, i have to undo the wing nut and take that bar out underneath the handle behind the motor in order for it to tilt, and those two hooks will not reach onto the tilt bar thing. I am quiete new with outboard but i reinstalled the lower gearcase using the manual, double checked it took it out a couple times and everything is in perfect order down there... but when i took the gearcase out the shift lever was able to go through fwd neutral reverse no problems, so someone told me it has to be the gearcase and something to do with te tilt.

any help would be so much appreciated...thanks alot!!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1955 johnson sea horse 10 hp broken

Does the lower unit shift through F-N-R when it's not on the motor? It's possible the pivot pin for the shift fork isn't back in place...

i have not taken the entire lower unit out to test that, i just took apart and put together toe gear case..and when the gearcase was out it shifted no problem through fwd neut reverse

forgot to mention after putting it all baack together, i tried to start it and it wouldnt even start, started once for a couple seconds then died

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If the gearcase shifted fine through the gears when off, look to your shift rod connection at the coupler. Be sure the detent is aligned perfectly with the hole in the coupler. Did you try spinning the prop while attempting to shift? Assuming it is on a stand of course.

yeah tried that didnt work, the rod looked fine by the coupler it all looked aligned