Installing 1995 powerhead on 1997 mid-section (Johnson 70 hp)

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Hi Guys,

I've just bought a 1997 Johnson 70 hp with a blown powerhead. I have a 1995 Evinrude 70hp powerhead that is rebuilt which I am installing on the Johnson frame.

The Johnson frame has a power trim and tilt unit that uses the newer style connections from tilt unit to powerhead. Is is possible to splice the connectors on from the new Johnson powerhead to the older evinrude powerhead and have the trim work correctly?

I've identified what all the cables do on both wiring harnesses but I'm hesitant to start cutting and splicing before I know it will work. The other option is to transfer over the trim/tilt assembly and wiring from the 97 motor to the 95 motor.

Would either option work and can anybody help me out?

Cheers

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Installing 1995 powerhead on 1997 mid-section (Johnson 70 hp)

Ok I decided to go for it myself and it worked. All that was needed was to replace the square plug connector for the power supply with the new style large round connector and it worked. The smaller round connection (control switch) worked the same as the old style but needed a new ground. The rest of the amphenol connectors were compatible.