Lower unit oil change question

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey fellas. I'm going to attempt a lower unit oil change when I get home from work, but my problem is this: My Seloc manual is at home, I'm at the office. I need to know what type of oil and if there are any washers/seals I need to replace before I put the screws back in. If so, I'd like to be able to go ahead and pick them up from the marine supply store before going home. My motor is a 1995 Force 120hp.

What weight oil do I need?

Are there any special seals/washers on the plug screws that will need replacing...and if so...any idea what part #/size?

Thanks!

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lower unit oil change question

I reckon your home now....sorry I couldnt help.

wickware

Lieutenant

I hope this is not too late. You have good concerns and a good Marina can handle all of them vs a WalMart sales person. Hopefully a marina is not too far or waiting might be an option.

1. I hope your drain plug is not confused with a gear pivot screw as my old 1970 35 HP Chrysler.
2. The basic rule is to add new sealing washers to your removed/replaced plugs on my "old unit".
3. When did you check or replace the impeller last or is that more than you are willing to attempt?

Good Luck! jow

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Yep...made it home and checked in the Seloc manual. I'd seen all the warnings about not removing the pivot screw...but on my model, I don't see it anyhow. The 3 I'll need to remove are all labeled on the motor though. Turns out I need a 90weight Quick Silver lower unit oil...so I picked up some of that. My local boat guy closed at 5 though...the same time I got off work. I'll pick up the washers/seals in the morning. When I get them, I'll post in here what type of washers you'll need for any future iboater who searches and finds this thread.

The impeller was replaced last year and is working great. I was just going to do my Spring maintenance, and since the lower unit fluid didn't get changed out last year, figured I'd do that. Engine fired up like a champ after having not been run since last Fall.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

What is the pivot screw? For me and others that don't know while we are here on Lower unit oil change question ?
There is one in the bottom and two on the top.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Picture 004.jpgTach and stuff 003.jpgTach and stuff 004.jpg
Rip,You should start your own thread.
The pivot screw is a slotted screw on the lower unit that holds
the shift mechanisim in place.
If it's removed you might have to disasemble the whole unit to put it back together right.
See pic.First is the fill/vent screws.
Second is the pivot pin screw.DON"T TOUCH!!!!!!!
Third is the drain screw.Some have an allen head and some have a slotted screw.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks jerryjerry05. Didn't want to start a duplicate thread just for that question. Thinking it belongs here.
Some of us need that warning. Thanks again.:)