New vs. Used

nikgogol

Recruit
Hello All,

I've been lurking in the forum for some time. I just purchased a house on a lake last year, and have been shopping around for pontoons. I have my choice narrowed down, and would like to get the collective's input.

First of all, a little about who we are and what we would use the boat for. We have a toddler and two dogs (hence the pontoon). We anticipate using the pontoon mostly for cruising around the lake and entertaining, but also for water skiing and tubing. Fishing is not high up in priorities. Our lake is pretty small - big enough to water ski and have some fun on, but no cigarette boat races.

So, with that out of the way, the blind taste test of the day:

Option A "New"
- a New 2012 Sweetwater 2286. 22', 115 hp engine
- Upgrades: TOTAL package (under deck skin, lifting strakes, "G-force" third tube, 29 gallon fuel tank), ski tow bar, docking lights
- Price: $26000 (all in - tax, registration, etc.)
- Pluses: New, fast upgrades, get to customize
- Minuses: More expensive, I will take depreciation hit

Option B "Used"
- a 1999 Crest Savannah Gold 25', 130 hp engine
- Interior in mint condition; low hours (don't know for sure - but barely used by retired couple)
- Upgrades: plush seating, bar/sink unit (wife likes), custom seat covers, 27" toons, 2 gas tanks, ski tow bar
- Price: $13500 (all in - registration, inspector to view the boat, delivery to my lake)
- Pluses: Cheaper, still decent engine, more plush interior, slightly bigger
- Minuses: Boat is getting up there in age, dealing with uncertainty of older boat, no tritoon, strakes and skin

OK, let 'er rip.

Thanks!
Nik

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New vs. Used

I have a 1986 SanPan 24 foot, and I also have two dogs, I wouldnt want to have anything smaller than the 24 '. you have toddler and dogs, the dogs will be moving around quite a bit on the pontoon, keep that in mind.and the toddler chasing after them, if it was me in your position, I would go with the pontoon with the 27" logs from the retired couple.
just my opinion

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Second what junkman says, I have a 2000 21' SunTracker and and extra space is always welcome. If the retired couple have taken care of the toon I wouldn't worry about the age. Plus there is a hellof a difference between 13K and 26K lots of fuel, toy, and tinker money

The Rooster

Ensign

Welcome Nic. I tend to agree w/ "junkman & treker", but thats a great price for a triple tube barge. make sure a "toon" is what you guys want vs. a deckboat or bowrider. If water sports is going to be a large part of the equation, its hard to beat a triple tube barge. If not, save your money, and come spend a week at the first annual Arkansas get together. :D Good luck !!!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Hard choice - I'd say go with the used mostly because of size. I have a 20' Sun Tracker & can't see 2 dogs moving around on it-
As said, if its been maintained the age would'nt worry me--

figgyb

Cadet

What do you want to do with it? Thats basically what it comes down to. The tri-toon with strakes will go much faster than the two-toon. I get 22mph on my 20' 2-toon w/ 90hp, check out the tri-toons on the forum, they are seeing 30mph easy.

nikgogol

Recruit

Thanks for the input, everyone. Keep it coming! As far as length - I had not considered it a big deal between 22' and 25' - thought we could easily manage 22'.

One further question - we have a 26' slip for the boat on our dock. Is that long enough to house a 25' boat (considering engine sticks out)?

Thanks,
Nik

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We take delivery of our 22ft toon next week, this is our 3rd 22 footer and it has plenty of room. Living on a lake is a lot different than hauling one, as you don't need to take all the stuff that others have to take with them, it's just a couple of minutes away if you forget it.

Toons are pretty much bullet proof, that being said, in 7 years the used toon will be 20 years old that's something to consider. I think a lot depends on how much money you want to spend.
They both sound good and the dock is not a problem.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still like these parts
Pluses: Cheaper, still decent engine, more plush interior, slightly bigger

Upgrades: plush seating, bar/sink unit (wife likes),

Genevieve84

Recruit

I have my choice narrowed down, and would like to get the collective's input.

imported_John o

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only big difference is the used one has only 2 tubes. I know that a third tube can be added for a couple K if you feel you really need it. That still leaves you about 10K ahead of the game

The beauty of pontoons is that they are easy to customize/update and if it is in as good a shape as you say it won't need much at all.

Go used.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

USED! USED! USED!!!!!!!!!!

Just my $0.02.

Welcome aboard,

Larry

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a 25' triple tube powered by a 135. It will pull a tube with no problem. It can pull a skier but it's not that fun of a ride. I guess it depends on the experience level of the skier.

I would get the larger toon (you will absolutely want the space). It should be able to handle a tube fine. It may or may not work well for skiing though.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think just about everyone agrees, the used pontoon is probibly the better choice.
thats the one I would purchase

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think just about everyone agrees, the used pontoon is probibly the better choice.
thats the one I would purchase

nikgogol

Recruit

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

We went out to see the used boat, but the "mint" interior was not anything close to that. Pictures online can sure be deceiving! In addition, someone else was there willing to buy, so we took a pass.

After continuing to look and not find anything decent used for a reasonable price, we bit the bullet and went with new. We went with a Sweetwater 2286, 115 Yamaha, vinyl flooring and ski tow bar. The dealer talked me out of getting the third toon package - said that for the limited times we were going to water ski, it really was not worth the extra $3000 (especially on the very small lake we live on), and that the setup we had was fine for normal basic skiing.

As no story is complete without pics, please see attached (including two happy customers).

We are really exciting about joining the toon family!

Nikgogol

Boat.jpgdogs.jpgphoto.jpg

nikgogol

Recruit

And because "edit post" does not seem to work, forgot to mention upgrade 25" tubes.

The Rooster

Ensign

Congratulations "Nik". Welcome to the wonderful world of toons. Have fun and good luck !!!

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks sweet, enjoy! A pair of Weimaraners there? Take them hunting?