It Lives!

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got this little motor from a CL add a couple months ago for $300. It's an '84 Johnson 6 horse. Just got done rebuilding the carb and water pump the other night and I just had to try it out. It took about 20 minutes of nursing to get it running smoothly, but she seems to be doing fine now.

I think I did figure out why she was a good deal (for this area, at least). When I took apart the water pump I found what looks like a brand new impeller. What I didn't find was the little nylon spline that locks it to the shaft. After I got her running, I also found a plugged telltale hose.

This is my first outboard resurrection, so I'm pretty happy with the outcome so far. I did learn a couple of things:

1) Fishing the little coolant tube into the pump as you put the lower end on is harder than it looks.

2) There are some REALLY small parts on these engines, particularly when you're searching for the under a workbench.

3) If you buy your gear lube in one of those handy little squeeze tubes, make sure you don't cut the nozzle off too short. A good bit of the first tube didn't get into the gearcase...

Attachments

• small johnson.jpg
    small johnson.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • it lives.jpg
    it lives.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: It Lives!

Nice work, Fast. I like your motor stand too. I've been trying to get an old Merc 7.5 going again and know that thrill of a successful fire up. ( I similarly know the frustration of limping home on one bad coil from across the lake after I thought it was all tickety boo...)

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: It Lives!

Thanks. I think the best part is knowing I didn't pay all that money for a fancy boat anchor. Not being able to run it before buying it always makes me worry a bit.