Pugetsound need help

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Put my 22 holiday in the water today, and for a boat that never leaked it did. Seems to be leaking out of the outside bottom of the transom seam ,and getting water in the boat from the splash well. Can this be sealed with Glovet??? or do I clean it real good and use 4200 sealer or whatever you suggest? Got about two three quarts in about 1 hour ,twicei tested it twice just to be sure water was not from rain. Really do not want to remove floor as rivits all look good , it sat for a year out of the water

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Pugetsound need help

Hey Puget, Has the boat been out of the water quite a while? I have found on three of these older Starcrafts, they seem to leak the first time in the water each year, then it goes away. I'm wondering if the seal they use in the seams drys out, and swells back up when wet to seal everything. Just saying.
Glen

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Sorry to hear PS..
I'd think it could be taken care of with Gluv-it.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry about the boat. It may get better on it's own since it missed a year. Gluvit would probably be the best, but puling the deck is a pain. You might paint some marine epoxy http://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-suppl...esin&*******=9dc4fdd1e5a2e3ba99a65448a569d333 8 to 12 inches in all directions from the transom seam, and try to match the paint on your boat. You want to make sure you get where the water is seeping from 3 qts an hour isn't much to find. Don't take the paint off first, just rough it up. There will be a slight maybe 1/32 inch (I've never measured) lip around where you ended the epoxy, but if the paint is on solid, it'll work as good as gluvit on the inside. Matching the old paint will be the challenge. Are you positive it's from the transom? Glad to hear you got it in the water again.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Bill when I watched it drain There was water seeping out of the joint . I willl reseal the transom connetion to the transom and clean athes seam and cover with 5200 sealer and let iyt sit then try it in the water again. I dont see even a single rivit that apears loose . However I cant see under the bow and keel cap . I think the boat yard was right in saying just seal it as after a yerr it will prob. seal its self. Day off today? should be spring time there soon. Ed

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would go with gluvit because it should wick into the seam. If there is a way to tilt the boat so the gluvit will rest on the joint that would be the way to go. IMO
Glad your getting on the water!

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I'm on my summer schedule, 4 10 hr days. Usually 11s and paid for 10 but o well, better than 5 9s and paid for 8s. I guess I've been lucky, never had a transom dry out and leak like that before. If the only place you see water coming out of is the transom, I think that's the only place for now I'd fix. If you pull the deck and gluvit, or when, then do everything from the inside. If you have a bad leak, the sound, or strait are both bad places to be . Make sure your bilge pump works too.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Ill know today after another splash. I reooved all bolts that had to be letting water in and one that a hole was empty. Hope that was it . Gloveit will be next. And I now have a antique bielge pump HA . I replaced it with a modern one that will take water right from the floor. The only water I am getting is about 2 Quarts after 1-2 hours in the water. My self I woulden.t bother with that, and. see if it seals but a buyer is concerned with it. Which is understandable . even a few gallons of a leak will not do a thing and the bielge pump I ust instaled will remofe it.

InMotion

Commander

Hey PS,

Sorry to hear about your leakage troubles. Gluvit will wick right into the seams... really does go on like thick honey. Just goop it on and let it properly dry. If there's leaky seam it should seal it... IMO.

All the best.

Jim

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like ya got it handled then. Good luck on the sale. My crestliner doesn't really take in that much water, but my starcraft probably takes in 5 to 10 gal in about 4 hours. That's not even enough to turn the bilge pump on.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Great news for me I resealed the entire rear of the Transom and found a couple places water might get in. Went to the lake today and was in the ,water for almost two hours .Pulled the boat out on a slope and held my breath opened the plug and NOT A DROP of water in the Hull. Made my day. anyone with a mystery leak might do the same, remove everything and reseal it I used 5200 and let it cure for a day. thanks for the advise Pugetsound.