Flywheel 68 55hp johnson

lovewater

Cadet
How can i take it off without a puller? i need to check my points underneath as i am not getting spark. Any suggestions?

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Flywheel 68 55hp johnson

Best option would be to rent a puller. Depending on when it was last removed u might be able to loosen the nut a few turns then tap the nut with a soft mallet and pull up on the flywheel at the saame time it might pop.

lovewater

Cadet

Do you know of any rings or clips that i need to remove? after i took the nut off i could see a rectangular cut out on the inside ring where the nut threads on if that makes sense lol

lovewater

Cadet

Im not sure i cant find anything on it, Ive looked in my manual and it says nothing about it. Im pretty lost here :/

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are no clips to remove if you can't get it off you can rent a puller for free at many automotive stores for a deposit. I use a harmonic balancer puller with3 long quarter inch grade 8 bolts

lovewater

Cadet

Okay perfect i will try to rent one from NAPA and if they dont have the one i need then a harmonic balancer puller will work?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

A harmonic balancer puller is what you need. It uses the 3 bolt holes in the flywheel to pull the flywheel off.

lovewater

Cadet

Okay i bought one from auto zone for 18 bucks as soon as i get off work im going to pull it off and locate the point im seriously hoping that it just rounded out and thats i have no spark. I understand that a short will blow my 20 amp ign fuse but if the rectifier is shorting out could that cause my ign fuse to blow, it blew once so i put my spare in and it ran for about 2 min then blew so in hopes of making it back up river to my launch spot i by passed the fuse and it has not started since, any ideas what i could have messed up to cause no spark? Thanks for all the help you guys are great!
Steve

if you bypassed the fuse chances are you will see what the problem is when the flywheel is off. no fuse leads to melted wires. easy way to find a short is to put a 12v light bulb in the circuit where the fuse was. when the light changes from bright to dull or off then you have found the short.

lovewater

Cadet

Well i pulled the flywheel off and did not see anything wrong =[ i adjusted my points just to be sure they were okay and the ohms tested right, so now im at a loss my rectifier was shorting out for sure but i unhooked it and put a new fuse in, the rectifier only charges the battery right? It should have no effect on my spark should it? the two yellow wires coming from the stator looked in bad shape so i re taped them to make sure they were not touching just in case... also the pulse pack and coil on my johnson 55hp look different from a 55hp evinrude triumph of the same year but is there a way i could use those?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Could you post a pic ?? It would also be nice if you stuck to one post.

lovewater

Cadet

boat -->View attachment 140942where the blue wire hooks up from power pack to coil (blue wire is unhooked)-->View attachment 140943touching the blue wire from power pack-->View attachment 140944touching the hook up for the wire on coil that leads to distributor--> View attachment 140945the power pack-->View attachment 140946 The reason im saying ground and the light on my tester is on is because i have the ground side of the tester hooked to power for convenience of finding grounds with the tip