Repack the bearing or not?

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
We lost a bearing buddy last trip out, first time I have lost one, and had nothing to cover the hub opening with. Since we were already there we dropped the boat in, had a decent day and got it out. Watched speed going home (35 miles) and no issues. Bearings had just been shot up with grease and still a fair amount on it as I can see. I had planned on replacing all the bearings, seals and bearing buddies this weekend as I don't know when this was done last and we have a long trip coming up in three weeks for a fishing tournament. HOWEVER...the Captain now wants me to take her and the boat out Saturday AM for 5-6 hours of fishing. No problem, but the question is can I simply drive on a buddy and refill and get by on a 70 mile round trip OK, or do I tell the Captain we are going nowhere. (Can't go Sunday:().....Neighbor says that putting the buddy on and adding grease will force out any remaining water, although there shouldn't be any there, except any that mixed with the grease inside. I had plans for Friday evening but can change those if yanking these bearings out are best...just hate to do this twice as they are coming out anyway.....Thoughts???

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Repack the bearing or not?

I think you will be just fine without repacking. Just make sure you have grease in there and cover them back up. If you have an old dust cap laying around you can use that since you are planning a full service soon.

oldjeep

Admiral

Should be just fine - but I don't understand the going nowhere if you have to clean it out. One side cleanup and regrease is a 30 minute job max and that includes a beer break. You're on the internet now and could be in the garage ;)

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Good points! Problem is the old boat is not in a garage, although it does have a roof over it. And it is a bit more difficult than that on this trailer. Plus, I am doing this almost one handed nowadays as my wrist was severely injured and had surgery that just did not fix it, so while I can turn a wrench, everything is slower now....But you are right, probably could still do it in an hour or two. Did I mention I can also be very lazy? :D

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Slap a dust cap on there an repack them next week.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Wow......no one stocks ANYTHING around here now.....Can't find bearing buddies (ordered online out of frustration) and dust caps??? Nope.....I found some Lowe's specials trailer bearing protectors that were same inside dia. (1.98) and the darn things won't go on.....:(
I checked them against the old bearing buddy I still have and can't see any difference except the taper is slightly different...but it is supposed to fit! I can get them started just a LITTLE but no matter how big a BFH I used they simply refused to go on. LOL, is there a TRICK to installing these darn things? the other bearing buddy went back on with a few hits from wood and a big hammer.....But these.....no. Supposed to leave in the darn morning too. The thing that really upsets me is that NAPA had NONE of these things at the two stores in our area, only the larger ones and no more than one of those. I called a company that specializes in trailors, buildings and toppers....the guy told me " you know I don't know why but we don't stock bearing buddies"....Walmart sells crap anymore so will have to wait for them to come in the mail. Advance auto parts had NO idea what I was looking for....As for our fishing trip.....not sure whether to grind these POS down, call early in the morning and see if anyone has dust caps that I didn't already try, or chance going anyway. A chance the place we are going has something...but really..you wouldn't think this was a big deal.

oldjeep

Admiral

Just make yourself a temp cap out of duct tape - seriously

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with oldjeep as long as you have Grease in there and tape it up good so it's not comming out you should be good. As long as you are planning to fix the problem soon as you say you should be fine for the trip. Tape it up and enjoy your weekend.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

LOL, that is a GREAT idea....I actually have some metal duct tape that should do nicely! Red Green would be PROUD :D.
I had thought about taking out my small anvil and slightly distorting one but most likely would smash my thumbs..Been that kind of day for me.... Thanks guys!

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Lol been there done that. Would certainly pet a damper on your weekend if yor thumb is throbbing the whole time. :D enjoy the water for me mine isn't going to be able to get out for a while.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! Had not planned to boat this weekend as we sold our primary tow vehicle just a few days ago and was originally going to work on boat and do yard work. But plans changed, so had to set up our Blazer and prep the boat...Still puzzled on why these caps did not work but will deal with that crap later. We have three lakes within 35 miles of us and the bass and crappie are hitting like crazy in the one where we are going to. Wife loves bass fishing...as long as she catches more or the bigger one! Sorry to hear you can't use yours....

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

We just got back.....the metal duct tape held up well and no problems...other than weather. Fishing was good, just overstayed our welcome as us and about a dozen others had to leave when a cold front blew through and dropped the temperature 10 degrees in a minute and about 30 minutes of wind / rain. Nothing like having wind blowing you around while having the wife complaining, and all the while COLD rain is coming off the bimini top straight down your back while trying to drive! But even with that it was a successful day. Plenty of bass and another "adventure" me and the wife will remember.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Great I'm glad it worked out for you. It's those adventures that make the difference between just another trip and one you'll always remember lol.