Chevy Inline 6 and OMC outdrive

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone:):

I am new to boating. Several people at work have boats and I am interested in getting a low-cost used boat for the family to see how it goes.

I have found a 1976 Reinell 23' boat (w/trailer) locally for $800. I called the owner and he said it has an OMC drive with a Chevy inline 6 cyl rated at 140hp. I am going to see the boat later today. Anything special I should look for when I go? I have read previous threads and it looks like the engine is reliable but some OMC outdrives can be problematic. I have rebuilt car engines and have a large set of tools and a barn to work in. However, I am unfamiliar with boat engines but I do know they have unique parts (manifolds, etc). How hard will it be to get parts for this engine/drive? Should I consider a replacement outdrive that is different?

The reason I am asking is that the answers to these questions will influence my offer on the boat or whether I even make an offer.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Steve

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chevy Inline 6 and OMC outdrive

I would skip it. That is the electric shift stringer model. Parts are hard to come by, they are tough to take apart because of corrosion issues. They are hard to keep sealed. OMC had been out of business since 1994. Need I say more?

Because of the huge hole in the transom used by the stringer drives, you would have to redo the transom to convert to a Merc or Volvo.

southkogs

Staff member

If the boat is in good shape, and the drive system works well then $800 is a reasonable price for a 23' boat of that age in good working order.

The Stringer Electric shift will be temperamental on you. It's not without some good qualities, but it's obsolete and completely unique. Parts are not impossible, but can be difficult to come by. Many marine shops won't even look at it anymore. The i6 250 is a great motor, but on a 23' I'd think she's kinda' underpowered (should be about a 165HP).

... and you can't re-power to another drive system without significant expense in rebuilding the transom of the boat.

If you can afford the risk of $800 ('cause the boat may not work right tomorrow and you'll have to fix it), and you don't mind taking care of a curmudgeon of a drive system ('cause it may not feel like working right tomorrow and you'll have to fix it), the dollar figure fits the boat.

I like mine ... but probably wouldn't go in for a 2nd round with OMC. It'll be easier for you if you find a Merc.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Oh..and by the way. We owned a 75 24' Reinell at one time with the exact drive and a 5.0L engine. It was WAY underpowered.