Boobie / Clanton / / ALL - Need HELP - 3rd post and no replies yet

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced the forward gear and pinion gear, so had a BRP dealer shim the drive shaft.
After putting everything back together in the lower unit , I came to the shift rod height. In my manual it has the height for a "60 degree V6" - Extra long shaft 25" = as 26 3/32nd to 26 5/32nds
BUT
it also lists a "90 degree V6 - LOOP CHARGED" Extra long shaft 25" = as 26 29/32 to 26 31/32nds.
I bought the engine used - how do I know if the V6 is a plain 60 degree or 90 degree Loop Charged ???
By the way - I could barely even get the shift rod screwed down to 26 and 3/32nds so Im thinking it must be the "loop charged" one but I never ran into that before, I thought it was just a plain old 60 degree V6, how can I tell?"???
I put model number in the title of the post if that helps.
PS - I know you measure from the center of the hole at the top of the shift rod to the base of the lower unit while it's in Neutral.
THANKS AGAIN for all your help !!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boobie / Clanton / / ALL - Need HELP - 3rd post and no replies yet

Yes, the model number would help but basically if you can see the flywheel when you take the hood off it's a 90* motor. Loop charged or crossflow. If the flywheel is under a plastic cover it's a 60* motor.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you - the model number is RJ150VXSIF

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Its loop charged

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Ok - then you'd recommend I follow the service manual drive shaft length for the 90* loop charged which was a "90 degree V6 - LOOP CHARGED" Extra long shaft 25" = as 26 29/32 to 26 31/32nds. ?????
Just want to double-check, as this is my first lower unit rebuild and I spent some good $$ on the forward gear and clutch dog, not to mention what the dealer charged me to shim the driveshaft before I could put all back together myself.
Appreciate the help - u guys are GR8 !!!

clanton

Rear Admiral

No it is a 60 degree loop charged engine.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I rechecked model number, it is a V6 60 degree looper engine. I don`t think a 150 90 degree looper was ever made, all 150 up t0 1991 were cross flow engines. I`m still out of town, can`t check my manual for specs.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

My book shows it as a 01 model and should be set at 26-3/4" and pre 01 at 26-1/4" due to lower cowl changes....

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to ALL for their help - much appreciated.
- I'll go down to my shop and see what 26 and 3/4" inch looks like this am. The other two specs in my Clymer Manual just didn't look/feel right and the 26 3/4" should work - I hope!!!!