Trailer Lights

RiverLance2012

Seaman Apprentice
I hooked my boat up to the harness and the lights did not work. It is the 4 prong one with the one rubber one on the end. The Weird thing is if I cut my headlights on they cut on but none of the signals work and if you hit the brake lights nothing happens. I have no idea what is going on... Any suggestions???

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Trailer Lights

Get a $4.00 trailer light checker for the truck side harness and see if you have power to all lights(circuits); if you do then you have a poor connection in trailer harness or the ground wire (white) is not making good contact(probably).

UncleWillie

Captain

I hooked my boat up to the harness and the lights did not work. It is the 4 prong one with the one rubber one on the end. The Weird thing is if I cut my headlights on they cut on but none of the signals work and if you hit the brake lights nothing happens. I have no idea what is going on... Any suggestions???

If I interpret it correctly, you are saying that the Tail Lights are working but both Turn Signal/Brake lights are not!

Sounds like the Ground(WHT) and the Tail Lights(BRN) circuits are OK.

The Left Brake/Turn(YEL) and Right Brake/Turn(GRN) are not!

Each "Tail Light" Bulb on the trailer has 2 filaments in them.
The Brake Lights and the Turn signal are the same filament.
The Brighter filament is for the Brake/Turn Lights.
The Dimmer filament is for the Tail Lights.

Before you go any farther, make sure you do not have a burned out filament on both sides.
Being the brighter filaments, the Brake/Turn filaments tend to burn out first.
You would not be the first person to have 2 bad bulbs.
It is way more common than one would tend to believe. :rolleyes:

Then I would suspect a bad connection at the Flat 4 connector.
Turn on your emergency/4 way flashers in the truck and start shaking wires to see if you can get the Bake/Turn light to flicker.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

by chance are you hooked into a suburban or tahoe? I had the same symptoms and it took a lot of people a lot of time to find out, that a white wire on the vehicle which everyone knew was a ground was actually an extra brake signal (like the one over the rear windshield) so activating the brake caused a short, but not enough to blow a fuse. I could do wierd stuff like make the turn signals work if Iturned off the headlights, etc.

So in addition to the bulbs, first get a tester to see if it's in the vehicle--they are cheap. But even testers lie (as I found out) so hook up to a friend's trailer, too, and see what's going on.

PS my vehicle harness was dealer installed.

Pelletmonster

Seaman Apprentice

what kinda vehicle are you towing with ? yr/make/model.. and is the flat 4 on the vehicle AND trailer or just trailer?

and correct me if im wrong but sounds like you have tail lights on trailer but no turn or brake signals ?????????

RiverLance2012

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone, I finally found it. There we two wires pinched together which Im guessing was the brake and turn signal wires. They work fine now!!!