HELP: Zodiac Futura Reviews...

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice
Hi peeps!

First post here! :)

I am after peoples reviews of the Zodiac Futura inflatables, in particular I am interested in the Mark 3 HD with 60hp.

Currently when I go away to my family's holiday home in Mallorca I have a Zodiac Yacht line 3.4m tender/rib with 2 stroke Yamaha 25hp outboard motor to play with. I have had this for about 8 years now, and it has served its purpose really well being great fun during long summer holidays, especially towing a rubber ring, we even managed to do skiing with it and with 2 people in the boat! :D

Its now time to upgrade, and I have always loved the idea of getting a proper sports rib, say about 5m long with proper seats/steering (I steer via the tiller handle and we sit on the tubes at present!) and a decent sized engine (100hp plus) etc etc. Unfortunately this wont be possible, well it is, but the problem is it will be far too much hassle. It all comes down to weight of the boat/engine. We are fortunate enough to have a slip way and crane in our apartment block, BUT unfortunately it would be VERY awkward to manoeuvre/carry a boat up onto the slip way, a trailer cannot be used. We can only manage a boat that 2 people can carry/move together, so now you can see weight is a very important issue.

This is one of the reasons why I like the look of the Zodiac Futuras, the mark 3 HD is 4.5m long and can take 60hp. The boat weighs 116kg and can be dismantled, and roughly a 60hp 2 stroke engine would be 100kg hopefully less?! So in other words I think my father and I could just about manage it together. I can manage my 3.4m rib (75kg) and 25hp engine (50kg) just about on my own, but my father helps me when I need it.
I just worry about the weight of the 60hp engine, hence why I would prefer to get a 2 stroke! At present, when bringing the boat in at the end of the holiday, I remove the engine from the boat in the water just in front of the slip way and carry it out of the water myself, I do wonder if I could cope with a 60hp engine, I think I would struggle A LOT :( but just about doable maybe, especially if I got an outboard motor trolley like this... http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/accessories/view/25/outboard-motor-trolley What do people think? Am I being stupid/unrealistic or does this sound plausible? (I'm not superman, just a regular guy! lol)

Right I have waffled on far too much, the reason for me coming on here is because I think the Futura mark 3 HD ticks all the boxes at present, fast, fun and light for its size and has seats/steering! The only other thing I'm worried about other than engine weight is the actual design of the hull with speed tubes. I assume this will make the ride a lot more bouncier and harsher than a rib as it will not cut through the water like a rib will. I have watched a few videos on you tube and tried searching google for reviews but no real luck. Everyone using these inflatables are using them in very very calm waters from what I can see. Fortunately Mallorca is in the Med which is fairly calm, well it looks calm compared to the River Themes here! lol. But there can be a bit of swell/waves from big boats etc in Mallorca, which is why I normally stick closish to the coastline.

So how do these Futura inflatables cope in slightly rough/choppy water? I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPwm4igpLo0 and would say the water looks like a GOOD day compared to the water around where I am in Mallorca so I think I would just about cope on an average day, but I worry how the Futura copes in slightly rougher waters. I can imagine it bounces about a hell of a lot. Don't get me wrong, my little 3.4m rib bounces a lot in choppier waters and you have to hold on for dear life sometimes if trying to go full throttle! lol. But how would a 4.5m Futura fair? I guess being that much longer than my current rib will help, but still?!

So please tell me your reviews of the futura inflatables, and are there any other inflatables or very light weight ribs I should consider?! I'm looking for a manageable step up from my current boat without the need for a trailer!

Finally where is good/cheap to buy brand new (or 2nd hand even) Zodiac Futura mark 3 HD with 60hp engine or just inflatables/ribs in general?

Thanks very much for your time!

James :)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP: Zodiac Futura Reviews...

Welcome to the forums...

If you can't count with a trailer for moving a Futura Mark 3 with a 60 HP at the back you're in trouble, worst if it's a 4 stroker. Don't need to go max engine for that model. If you are not that "extreme" could mange well with 30/40 HP tiller engines. Weights much less.

Happy Boating

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks!

Unfortunately like I said I cannot use a trailer! =(

Reason why I would want 60hp is because I do want the maximum out of the boat, a 50hp will weigh very similar and I honestly don't think a 30 or even 40hp would cut the mustard for me!

any thoughts on how the Futura handles the waves?!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that the max HP rated for any inflatable boat is for full stated passengers at transom's plate. Ask yourself how many times will the Futura be used fully loaded to justify buying a 60 HP engine. Just as a refference. Have in use a 420 rib that weights more than a Futura, its rated for a 40 HP engine, for recreational purposes use it with a 18 HP engine, runs 40 Km/hour with 2. If you place a 30 HP engine runs at 65 Km/h what more speed do you really need...

Have sen Futuras down here with max 40 and are water bullets. With upper and lower tubes well inflated to it's recommended working pressure will perform nicely on choppy waters but not better than same size rib because of one piece hull rigidity. Is it possible to leave a 60 engine at the marina ?

Happy Boating

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm looking at specs. of 40-60 HP Mercury engines are somewhere in the 260 lbs/ 118 kg +++ range which is a LOT of weight to manhandle - especially by yourself. I have a motor caddy with wheels which helps, but it's awkward. I can move a 115 pound four stroke by myself...but it's no fun because it doesn't handle like a barbell, or gym weight. If drop one of these things - that's a lot of dinero, or a broken forefoot. :( My wife says she can see my neck veins and arteries expand when I move the motor. She thinks it's funny. :)

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I run a futura mk2 witha 40hp 3 cylinder outboard. I cannot even imagine attempting to remove and carry the outboard by itself. It is also not that easy to disconnect and deal with the remote controls. It isn't straightforward to detach the power and control cables at the outboard and it is a pain to remove the console and controls. I do pull my outboard and controls occasionally (because my zodiac is old and it needs attention every couple of years). I use a light winch to lift it. While I can move the empty hull around in my garage (easier after the aluminum floor is removed) it is not an easy to handle boat for two over uneven terrain. IMO you are not going to find breaking down the boat to be something you will want to do as you propose. I tried packing it up a couple of times on trips to Mexico and now I just tow it everywhere.

The futura is definitely not a rib when it comes to handling chop, but mine did handle admirably when I had to blast across lake powell with whitecaps and waves. I have suspension seats installed so it was only mildly abusive. The Futura handles great and I really like the speed tubes. Wind chop isn't that bad, but swells from wakes of other boats are a jolt if you don't angle off and reduce speed.

The Futura is a lot of fun when the water smooths out!
http://youtu.be/Q7RMJCbM4PA

Looking at the video that was posted earlier in the thread those are not very choppy conditions, but the boat pictured is not set up well. The console position looks like it could be farther forward and there is no weight up forward. My gas tank and battery are under the console bench and I have trim tabs on my boat. It rides much smoother than that mk3 on the video.

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

Keep in mind that the max HP rated for any inflatable boat is for full staed passengers at transom's plate. Ask yourself how many times will the Futura be used fully loaded to justify buying a 60 HP engine. Just as a refference. Have in use a 420 rib that weights more than a Futura, its rated for a 50 HP engine, for recreational purposes use it with a 18 HP engine, runs 40 Km/hour with 2. If you place a 30 HP engine runs at 65 Km/h what more speed do you really need...

Have sen Futuras down here with max 40 and are water bullets. With upper and lower tubes well inflated to it's recommended working pressure will perform nicely on choppy waters but not better than same size rib because of one piece hull rigidity. Is it possible to leave a 60 engine at the marina ?

Happy Boating

The reason why I want max HP is because I love speed (don't we all!) and I will use the boat for water skiing and pulling rubber rings etc and I will quite often have 3 people in the boat whilst doing so, and I would appreciate the ability of being able to go at say 50-75% throttle instead of needing to go 100% throttle!

The speeds you mention for 18 and 30 HP are impressive for your boat. According to Zodiac a Futura mark 3 (4.5m weighing 118kg) can do a max speed of 60 Km/h and I assume this speed rating is for a 60 HP engine, as they say min recommended HP is 25, max recommended HP is 50 and max allowed HP is 60.

As for a marina, there is a small marina over the bay, but they would charge a small fortune!

I'm looking at specs. of 40-60 HP Mercury engines are somewhere in the 260 lbs/ 118 kg +++ range which is a LOT of weight to manhandle - especially by yourself. I have a motor caddy with wheels which helps, but it's awkward. I can move a 115 pound four stroke by myself...but it's no fun because it doesn't handle like a barbell, or gym weight. If drop one of these things - that's a lot of dinero, or a broken forefoot. :( My wife says she can see my neck veins and arteries expand when I move the motor. She thinks it's funny. :)

The picture you have painted is the same as the one I already have in my mind of me trying to carry one! :( lol

However I see you can buy launching rollers... http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/accessories/view/19/launching-roller-large I wonder if I had two or three of these on the slip way and simply attaching a rope to the front of the boat and pulled the boat up onto the slip way whilst the engine is still attached if that would do the trick. Would pulling a total of 220 ish kg up out the water be too hard I wonder? I could always attach a length of rope to the boat crane and use that to pull it straight out of the water too. in fact I think this would be a good idea, its just a case of being careful not to damage the underneath of the boat as it goes up onto the slipway, hence these rollers! If this could work for me then it would be ideal as I could leave the engine on permanently then!

I run a futura mk2 witha 40hp 3 cylinder outboard. I cannot even imagine attempting to remove and carry the outboard by itself. It is also not that easy to disconnect and deal with the remote controls. It isn't straightforward to detach the power and control cables at the outboard and it is a pain to remove the console and controls. I do pull my outboard and controls occasionally (because my zodiac is old and it needs attention every couple of years). I use a light winch to lift it. While I can move the empty hull around in my garage (easier after the aluminum floor is removed) it is not an easy to handle boat for two over uneven terrain. IMO you are not going to find breaking down the boat to be something you will want to do as you propose. I tried packing it up a couple of times on trips to Mexico and now I just tow it everywhere.

The futura is definitely not a rib when it comes to handling chop, but mine did handle admirably when I had to blast across lake powell with whitecaps and waves. I have suspension seats installed so it was only mildly abusive. The Futura handles great and I really like the speed tubes. Wind chop isn't that bad, but swells from wakes of other boats are a jolt if you don't angle off and reduce speed.

The Futura is a lot of fun when the water smooths out!
http://youtu.be/Q7RMJCbM4PA

Looking at the video that was posted earlier in the thread those are not very choppy conditions, but the boat pictured is not set up well. The console position looks like it could be farther forward and there is no weight up forward. My gas tank and battery are under the console bench and I have trim tabs on my boat. It rides much smoother than that mk3 on the video.

Thanks for your input, suspension seats sounds like a great idea and also having your boat set up right is obviously very important to!

As for your video, very nice! :) what size engine/futura is that? and what is Hydrofoiling? Never seen that before!!!

azzurro

Seaman

The reason why I want max HP is because I love speed (don't we all!) and I will use the boat for water skiing and pulling rubber rings etc and I will quite often have 3 people in the boat whilst doing so, and I would appreciate the ability of being able to go at say 50-75% throttle instead of needing to go 100% throttle!

The speeds you mention for 18 and 30 HP are impressive for your boat. According to Zodiac a Futura mark 3 (4.5m weighing 118kg) can do a max speed of 60 Km/h and I assume this speed rating is for a 60 HP engine, as they say min recommended HP is 25, max recommended HP is 50 and max allowed HP is 60.

As for a marina, there is a small marina over the bay, but they would charge a small fortune!

The picture you have painted is the same as the one I already have in my mind of me trying to carry one! :( lol

However I see you can buy launching rollers... http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/accessories/view/19/launching-roller-large I wonder if I had two or three of these on the slip way and simply attaching a rope to the front of the boat and pulled the boat up onto the slip way whilst the engine is still attached if that would do the trick. Would pulling a total of 220 ish kg up out the water be too hard I wonder? I could always attach a length of rope to the boat crane and use that to pull it straight out of the water too. in fact I think this would be a good idea, its just a case of being careful not to damage the underneath of the boat as it goes up onto the slipway, hence these rollers! If this could work for me then it would be ideal as I could leave the engine on permanently then!

Thanks for your input, suspension seats sounds like a great idea and also having your boat set up right is obviously very important to!

As for your video, very nice! :) what size engine/futura is that? and what is Hydrofoiling? Never seen that before!!!
You can get a 2 stroke in Mallorca-Spain as long as it is registered together with the boat you are getting.
If you get a 2-stroke alone, you will not be able to register it with another boat.
No register, no assurance. And bills will be above 1000 euros...

And also, think of getting a title if you still don?t have one.
3,5 m. boats can be used without a title when a smaller engine (I believe it's less than 15hp). You can disguise a 25hp 2-stroke as 14hp, but a 60hp engine won't.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a slipway, since it isn't trailer accessible, but it would be a great alternative to pull the boat up with rollers or lift with a crane. My futura mk 2 with a 40 hp engine lifts nicely off my trailer with a sling and my light hand winch. My friends and I beach launch a lot in mexico and it is much easier to tow a boat on rollers than try to carry one! If you can leave the boat stored there safely that would keep you from having to disassemble everything each time you want to use the boat. I totally understand that one can never have enough boat, which is why I'm looking for a deal on a used RIB.

I have suspension seats used for tractors on my boat. Very nice, but not really necessary if you aren't beating across open water.

Hydrofoiling has been around for over a decade, but the equipment has gotten much better. Easy to pop up (more like a wakeboard rather than a single ski) and you can jump without any wake (perfect for riding behind the inflatable). Not too hard to learn and relatively forgiving until you start jumping and doing inverts. Lots of video clips on you tube.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy yourself out there!

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The picture you have painted is the same as the one I already have in my mind of me trying to carry one! lol

However I see you can buy launching rollers... http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/access...g-roller-large I wonder if I had two or three of these on the slip way and simply attaching a rope to the front of the boat and pulled the boat up onto the slip way whilst the engine is still attached if that would do the trick. Would pulling a total of 220 ish kg up out the water be too hard I wonder? I could always attach a length of rope to the boat crane and use that to pull it straight out of the water too. in fact I think this would be a good idea, its just a case of being careful not to damage the underneath of the boat as it goes up onto the slipway, hence these rollers! If this could work for me then it would be ideal as I could leave the engine on permanently then!

From all that you describe - it might be simpler to get a RIB, or hard-bottomed boat which you can trailer out with a car? If you are using a crane - it makes life easy but at the end of the day you have to rely on someone else + probably pay a fee to get your boat out & onto whatever device you will use to tow everything home.

If I had the Futura I would probably leave it at the dock and pay fees for however long I was going to use it because it looks like a hassle pulling it out of the water with those speed tubes. That said - they do look like a lot of fun and look "wicked cool."

Cheers,

Cape Ann

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

You can get a 2 stroke in Mallorca-Spain as long as it is registered together with the boat you are getting.
If you get a 2-stroke alone, you will not be able to register it with another boat.
No register, no assurance. And bills will be above 1000 euros...

And also, think of getting a title if you still don?t have one.
3,5 m. boats can be used without a title when a smaller engine (I believe it's less than 15hp). You can disguise a 25hp 2-stroke as 14hp, but a 60hp engine won't.

useful information, thanks! :)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a slipway, since it isn't trailer accessible, but it would be a great alternative to pull the boat up with rollers or lift with a crane. My futura mk 2 with a 40 hp engine lifts nicely off my trailer with a sling and my light hand winch. My friends and I beach launch a lot in mexico and it is much easier to tow a boat on rollers than try to carry one! If you can leave the boat stored there safely that would keep you from having to disassemble everything each time you want to use the boat. I totally understand that one can never have enough boat, which is why I'm looking for a deal on a used RIB.

I have suspension seats used for tractors on my boat. Very nice, but not really necessary if you aren't beating across open water.

Hydrofoiling has been around for over a decade, but the equipment has gotten much better. Easy to pop up (more like a wakeboard rather than a single ski) and you can jump without any wake (perfect for riding behind the inflatable). Not too hard to learn and relatively forgiving until you start jumping and doing inverts. Lots of video clips on you tube.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy yourself out there!

this is our slip way and crane for our apartment block (sorry about the pics, best I could find!)...

torrenovatico80.jpg

torrenovatico84.jpg

We have a boat house on the same level as the crane to keep the boat in. there is no way you can get a trailer there as there are no roads to it, and we don't have a car!! If I can pull the boat with engine on up the slip way then I am laughing, as long as I don't damage underneath the boat, hence why the launching rollers may be a good idea, or even attaching wheels to the transom whilst the boat is in the water, is this possible?
Otherwise my original plan was to take the engine off the boat and carry both separately to below the crane to crane it up and store it in the boat house. The boat will be stored inflated! Getting the boat up onto the slip way is my issue, the heavier the boat/engine the harder it is. This is why I am looking at the Futura as it is light for a 4.5m boat.

From all that you describe - it might be simpler to get a RIB, or hard-bottomed boat which you can trailer out with a car? If you are using a crane - it makes life easy but at the end of the day you have to rely on someone else + probably pay a fee to get your boat out & onto whatever device you will use to tow everything home.

If I had the Futura I would probably leave it at the dock and pay fees for however long I was going to use it because it looks like a hassle pulling it out of the water with those speed tubes. That said - they do look like a lot of fun and look "wicked cool."

Cheers,
Cape Ann

Unfortunately I cannot use a trailer 100% and we don't have a car! As you can see from the pictures the set up it is a simple jetty with slip way and the level above a boat crane and behind the crane are boat houses to store boats! But what you cannot see is the the slip way, which is unfortunately awkward! The slip way goes down to the water but with two steps at the bottom, the water level is in between the two steps. If the steps were not there (or the water level was higher) life would be so much easier to pull the boat up onto the slip way!

I am now thinking rather than dismantling the boat/engine and manually carrying both to below the crane to crane up, that maybe with launching rollers http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/accessories/view/19/launching-roller-large or possibly launching wheels http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/accessories/view/40/launching-wheels (assuming they can be attaching in the water!) I could attach a rope to the front of the boat and then to the crane to pull it out of the water up onto the slip way below the crane, where I can then attach the crane's cradle and slings to lift the boat up a level, and then job done!

Weight IS the key here. Yes I would prefer a rib but they weigh that much more for this size and would make it so much harder for me to handle! =(

Anyone else have opinions/experiences on how the Futuras handle in rougher waters? Thanks.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay now it makes more sense. So you can bring the boat up to the cement pad and roll it into it's parking place? If so some transom wheels would set you up. The only challenge is non are rated to carry that much weight really. I have a similar boat to nobrainsd which is a decent amount less than what you are talking about. My boat is a 4.2m Zodiac MK2 with a hard deck aluminum floor. It has a 40hp 2 stroke tiller, carries 11 gallons of fuel, and the anchor gets moved to the back of the boat to lighten the bow. I can pull it on and off the trailer by myself and roll it around as long as it is smooth flat ground. Once over a sand bank forget about it, as it takes multiple people. I built my transom wheel set from scratch and it cost me probably close to $400 US dollars. I used Wheeleez for weight and for their ability to roll over sand, although I am at the max weight just about for the 49cm tyres. You could get away with much less since you aren't trying to run yours offroad. You might even be able to find something that could gingerly handle the weight. If you don't have to remove the motor and can roll it around, go for the bigger boat and motor.

Could you attach and remove the wheels while the boat is on the crane at the upper level?

Can you also use the crane to lift the motor off the boat onto a caddy? As stated above, unless it is a tiller setup you are not going to want to go that route.

Beautiful place :)

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

Okay now it makes more sense. So you can bring the boat up to the cement pad and roll it into it's parking place? If so some transom wheels would set you up. The only challenge is non are rated to carry that much weight really. I have a similar boat to nobrainsd which is a decent amount less than what you are talking about. My boat is a 4.2m Zodiac MK2 with a hard deck aluminum floor. It has a 40hp 2 stroke tiller, carries 11 gallons of fuel, and the anchor gets moved to the back of the boat to lighten the bow. I can pull it on and off the trailer by myself and roll it around as long as it is smooth flat ground. Once over a sand bank forget about it, as it takes multiple people. I built my transom wheel set from scratch and it cost me probably close to $400 US dollars. I used Wheeleez for weight and for their ability to roll over sand, although I am at the max weight just about for the 49cm tyres. You could get away with much less since you aren't trying to run yours offroad. You might even be able to find something that could gingerly handle the weight. If you don't have to remove the motor and can roll it around, go for the bigger boat and motor.

Could you attach and remove the wheels while the boat is on the crane at the upper level?

Can you also use the crane to lift the motor off the boat onto a caddy? As stated above, unless it is a tiller setup you are not going to want to go that route.

Beautiful place :)

Yes I can simply roll the boat about, I will just need to get some suitable transom wheels like this... http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/accessories/view/40/launching-wheels so I can roll the boat up onto the slip way from the water. Can I fit these type of transom/launching wheels whilst the boat is in the water? if so great! it will then just be a case of finding some that can handle the weight of the boat.

Otherwise I have just found these boat caddys/dollys... http://www.wheeleez.com/boat-dolly.php (the 38cm wheels) and http://www.fendock.com/index.php?page=products&pid=80&cat=RC but these will cost a lot more than transom wheels.

Indeed I don't have to remove the motor, IF I can find suitable wheels to a roll the boat about, this would make my life much easier! :)

Yes I could use the crane to lift the motor off the boat, BUT not whilst its in the water, the boat would need to be under the crane out of the water, so I am then back to the problem of how to get the boat/engine out of the water.

I really think wheels of some sort, preferably transom wheels as opposed to a caddy/dolly wheels is the answer. It will just be a case of finding transom wheels which are strong enough. Does anyone know the weight rating of these Zodiac transom wheels? http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/accessories/view/92/launching-wheels it is listed for the Futura mark 3 so it will fit BUT will it be ok to use with the engine attached? I would assume so, otherwise what's the point in them?!

I could always beef these transom wheels up by getting some metal bars welded to them to make them stronger maybe?

and thanks, its lovely there! :)

Any more experiences on how the Futuras handle in rougher waters? Cheers.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If got you correct, sib/engine will live in boat house located at same crane level. You need to crane combo to first floor, where se?orita is sunbathing to drop combo to sea using boat ramp, right ? If so. Why don't you make a small wooden platform that matches your hull & speedtubes shape to move combo from boat house to crane area.

Using U slings secured to transom and bow, lower to first floor, place transom wheels on sib to trasport it to ramp. Reverse order when returning. How do you intend to place and retrieve combo once on ramp, by hand, pullys, electric winch ? Assume the ramp is not that steep ? For your peace of mind and wallet, must be someone else that has same combo, go for a test trial and see if fulfills your speed expectations.

Happy Boating

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

yea you have got my idea pretty spot on, and I did think of making a wooden platform with wheels on to move the boat about, but the only problem is getting the boat onto the wooden platform when the boat is in the water! I think transom wheels is the best idea and then I would try and pull the boat out of the water myself, or I would connect a length of rope from the front of the boat in the water to the crane and get it to pull the boat out of the water, but this is assuming the transom wheels available from zodiac (http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/accessories/view/108/launching-wheels) can take the weight of the engine too?!

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just realized your slipway is really steep isn't it? Does it get algae on it too? If so it might take at least three people to get it up the ramp. Weird setup. What is the point of a launch ramp if you can't get a trailer to it? What kind of boats do others launch there? Is there some kind of winch to haul boats up the ramp?

Even though the wheels may not be rated to haul your future boat, since it is so flat, if you are gentle you "Might" be able to get away with them. Most every type of wheel can be put in while the boat is in the water. Although my 49cm tyres are super floaty.

I like the idea of a simple light weight bunk system with two rear wheels and a third steerable upfront, although it would not be installed on the water, it would have to be slipped under the boat before pulling it out. I have seen lawn mower tractor tires used before which carry a pretty high weight rating. Slings could be built to the "trailer system". Otherwise you will need to build a sling setup for it.

What is the hoist max weight rating?

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just another thought - why not anchor the Zodiac right off the slipway for the season and save yourself the hassle of taking it out everytime you finish? Seems there are some smaller boats out there? The water looks so nice and warm I would make a concrete mooring and when I need to get the boat I would just snorkel out there, start her up and pick people up at the slipway ramp - near the two stairs. :)

That said - what a lovely slipway. The only comment I have on Zodiacs is about the Pro model which was used as a diving boat in Alaska. It could take a beating, was comfortable in choppy water and very agile. I know it isn't a Futura - but Zodiac tends to do its homework and I have yet to see a wussy inflatable from them. Although some of the Cadets are sin ugly. :D

Cheers,

CapeAnnZodiac Pro.jpg

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

I just realized your slipway is really steep isn't it? Does it get algae on it too? If so it might take at least three people to get it up the ramp. Weird setup. What is the point of a launch ramp if you can't get a trailer to it? What kind of boats do others launch there? Is there some kind of winch to haul boats up the ramp?

Even though the wheels may not be rated to haul your future boat, since it is so flat, if you are gentle you "Might" be able to get away with them. Most every type of wheel can be put in while the boat is in the water. Although my 49cm tyres are super floaty.

I like the idea of a simple light weight bunk system with two rear wheels and a third steerable upfront, although it would not be installed on the water, it would have to be slipped under the boat before pulling it out. I have seen lawn mower tractor tires used before which carry a pretty high weight rating. Slings could be built to the "trailer system". Otherwise you will need to build a sling setup for it.

What is the hoist max weight rating?

Yea it is steep. It gets a bit of algae, but not too bad. We are the only people who really use the crane/slip way to be honest! I don't know what the max weight rating of the crane is, but I am sure it would take 500 kg probably even 1000kg no problems. I am not worried though as the Futura mark 3 HD (4.5m) with a 60hp engine will weigh about 230kg.

I cant remember if it is still there, but there used to be a big strong metal ring bolted to the wall (1m from the floor roughly) right below the crane in line with the slip way, so I assume you could simply lower the cranes cable down through the metal ring/eye and then take the cable horizontally across down the slip way to a boat and use the crane to pull the boat out of the water. So either this process is how the designer thought people would use the set up or maybe they thought people would use trailers with hand winches to pull boats out of the water onto the trailer and then crane the boat on the trailer up to the boat deck and then push the boat/trailer into your boat house for storage?! The problem with a trailer is that the only way you can get one to the apartment block is by water, or by dismantling it and reassembling it on the boat deck or jetty level! the nearest road is about 8 levels above the boat deck with only a small stairway/lift to get up and down!

Just another thought - why not anchor the Zodiac right off the slipway for the season and save yourself the hassle of taking it out everytime you finish? Seems there are some smaller boats out there? The water looks so nice and warm I would make a concrete mooring and when I need to get the boat I would just snorkel out there, start her up and pick people up at the slipway ramp - near the two stairs. :)

That said - what a lovely slipway. The only comment I have on Zodiacs is about the Pro model which was used as a diving boat in Alaska. It could take a beating, was comfortable in choppy water and very agile. I know it isn't a Futura - but Zodiac tends to do its homework and I have yet to see a wussy inflatable from them. Although some of the Cadets are sin ugly. :D
Cheers,
CapeAnnView attachment 140905

This is exactly what I do, I put a mooring in the water! So I only have to put the boat in the water when I arrive and take it out when I leave! I am going out there for a month this summer so fingers crossed I will have a new boat by then, hence why I am looking now! :) and yes the water is lovely and warm, what you said is exactly what I do, swim out to the boat (takes seconds!) then jump in, and come back and pick passengers up from the slip way/steps! :)

Here is a picture of my boat moored up next to my neighbours boat last summer. Mines the middle boat, and your favourite cadet is to the left of it and to the right is another neighbours boat which is a 3.8m zodiac with proper seats and a 40hp 4stroke Yamaha so weights a lot more than mine, but she takes it to a marina to store when its not moored up!

DSC02339.jpg

Anyone else have a Futura? How does it handle in rougher waters?!

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well that ring and the weight rating of the hoist change everything. Assuming there is a way to use the hoist and ring for pulling a boat up the ramp, if it were me...

I would buy a small trailer. Strap it to the boat and find the closest launch ramp to your place and roll the boat and trailer into the water. Then slowly motor back to your place and motor up to the ramp. Connect the cable and winch the boat and trailer up the ramp, reset the cable to your custom lifting slings for the trailer and hoist the whole thing onto the upper level. This will give you a way to easily transport the boat and launch it. Now you would have the ability to get a larger RIB if funds allow. A larger dolly wheel in the front should allow easy rolling, and steerage. Can you leave the trailer down below for a day or does it have to be put back into the boat garage? I guess if you plan to moor it then the trailer will need to go back.

Sounds like you need to contact the property manager and get more information about how the system was designed to be used.

Do you have a fresh water rinse available too?

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

Good idea with the trailer, but we do not have a car over there! yes I'm sure I could get a flat pack trailer and assemble it once its on the boat deck/jetty, BUT the whole point is to get a boat that is as light as possible (a 4.5m rib will weigh a lot more) and thus less hassle to manoeuvre for ONE/two men! Plus it will be less of a strain on the crane (which was broken for 4 years about 3 years ago because no one bothered to fix it!) and unfortunately we dont speak spanish nor do we get on with our neighbours so finding out about how the boat system is meant to work is never going to happen!

If transom wheels are not up to the job with the weight of the engine (I am waiting for a reply from Zodiac!) even after having extra metal brackets welded to them to make them stronger if needs be, then I will probably buy a trailer/boat dolly which can be disassembled so then I can get it from the road, down the 8 storeys via the lift or stairs to the boat deck/jetty where I need it! (it will live in the boat house on the boat deck when not in use on the jetty/slip way!)

Lastly, yes I will be able to clean the boat and flush the engine out with fresh water on the boat deck before storing it away in the boat house! :)