1969 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman. Tough Starting.... will not idle.

jjasonn28

Cadet
So my father in law gave me an old outboard he had sitting in his basement for the last 6 years. Nice of him! I put it on a barrel, hooked up the gas, (new tank and lines), and after 3 pulls it started up, but was obviously running rough.

Cleaned and rebuilt the carb to see if it would help get it running a little smoother, and it did, but on full throttle only. When I release the throttle and even slowly try to bring it to idle, the engine stalls. Sounds like somebody unplugged it :)

Also, to get it started, requires immediate throttle when if fires.

Any ideas? Where should I start? My hunch tells me its power/coils/points/timing issue.... of which i am completely lost on..

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1969 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman. Tough Starting.... will not idle.

first , read the top secret file at the beginning of this forum, and when you say you cleaned and rebuilt the carb did you just blow it out, or did you soak it, pull the welch plugs, run a fine wire through all the ports? id also do a compression test before you start buying parts.

jjasonn28

Cadet

No, just a simple cleaning before ordering a carb kit. I pulled everything apart, soaked in carb cleaner, ran compressed air through it and re assembled it. (Set the float to be flush with the housing.) I also changed fuel lines while i was at it.

Compression test first then?

nwcove

Admiral

thats usually the first thing to check rather than spending $$$ on a motor that could be bad ( it probably is ok, but the test is well worth the time......as is reading sections of the top secret file) . if the comp is ok, then do a proper carb overhaul and spark test. and dont forget to replace the impeller!!! post back with comp numbers.

and welcome to iboats!!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Also, don't run the engine at full throttle in the barrel, you need to have it under a load for full throttle. Might keep you from picking up engine pieces when it comes apart.

jjasonn28

Cadet

thats usually the first thing to check rather than spending $$$ on a motor that could be bad ( it probably is ok, but the test is well worth the time......as is reading sections of the top secret file) . if the comp is ok, then do a proper carb overhaul and spark test. and dont forget to replace the impeller!!! post back with comp numbers.

and welcome to iboats!!

Thank you! I will post my compression results asap!

jjasonn28

Cadet

Also, don't run the engine at full throttle in the barrel, you need to have it under a load for full throttle. Might keep you from picking up engine pieces when it comes apart.

Nah, I didnt run it in the barrel full throttle for more than 10-15 seconds. More like a fast troll for a few minutes :p

jjasonn28

Cadet

Alright. So a compression test yielded 97psi on bottom cylinder, 99psi on top cylinder. While I was tinkering with it, I decided to check for spark with an inline tester. Looks like im not getting spark on the top cylinder..

kfa4303

Banned

Hi jj. Great news on the compression that's the most important issue. everything else can be fixed pretty easily. As far as the spark is concerned, you'll need to pull the flywheel and check the ignition components. I would suggest you just replace the points, condensers and spark plug wires while you 're at it. You can do the job yourself for less than $35-$40. Ultimately, your spark should be able to jump a 1/4" gap. You can get a gap tester at most auto parts stores for about $5. When the time comes you can also get a car rebuild kit here for about $20-$25. Here are some great links that can walk you through an overall tune up. Some of the models are different from yours, but the basic steps are the same. Holler if you get stuck. Good luck.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

jjasonn28

Cadet

Hey. Its been some time since my last post, but here is a quick update.... I pulled the flywheel to inspect the components and WOW. I cant believe it was even getting spark to one cylinder! I was expecting to see a crack in a coil, instead I had two coils that fell apart when you touched them.

Needless to say, I replaced the coils, condensers and ignition cables. (I left the points because they looked like they had been replaced recently.) Replaced the flywheel connected everything up and in two pulls it started up and ran like a champ! Low idle is a tiny bit rough, but ive purchased a carb kit and will rebuild the carb (again), this time replacing the old guts.

I took nwcove's advice and changed the impeller. Noticed now though that the upper water tube boot looks collapsed and cracked. So I have that part on order. With any luck, this time next week it will be ready to test the lake on the back of my little 12' aluminum!

Thanks all, for your help!

kfa4303

Banned

Sweet. Glad you got it running. Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep us posted....

jjasonn28

Cadet

Here is a picture of what the coils looked like when I pulled the flywheel. And I still had spark on one cylinder.. :)

69 6hp Fisherman.jpg

Gus-71

Seaman Apprentice

Hi!
Really toasty coils you have on your motor.:D:D Lucky to have spark. I think omc and others have made it a goldmine selling coils.:eek: It seems that nearly all tends to crack at least one of them.
Good luck with your motor!
Gus-71

jjasonn28

Cadet

Had the motor on a little 12' aluminum for test run this weekend, here is where we sit now..

Starts easily. Runs nicely in neutral. Idles well in all gear settings. However, when I give it throttle in gear, the rpm's double (if even that) and the motor is VERY sluggish.

Squeezing the primer bulb does nothing. I currently have the carb off, and am rebuilding it with a newly purchased kit. Is there another culprit I should keep an eye on? Keeping in mind I just replaced the coils, condensers and ignition wires. Could it be a timing issue?

AlTn

Commander

no timing issue on the 2 cylinders as it is set by the flywheel/crankshaft position established with the crankshaft key...easy start and idle in gear is good...did you do a link and sync procedure?...with the motor idling, have you removed each plug boot in turn to determine if the motor continues to idle or dies ?..in other words, is it running on 1 cylinder?

google Leeroysramblings.com as he has a write up in his outboard related articles

With good idle and easy start it doesn't sound like a carb problem

kfa4303

Banned

+1. I would double check the spark too. It should be able to jump a 1/4" gap with ease. You can get a gap tester at any auto store for like $5. There may be a loose wire somewhere, but a good carb cleaning is never a bad idea either. Pay special attention to the area under the welch plugs. Here are some handy links.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_6hp.htm

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm Not your exact model, but a good How-to for OMC carbs)

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm

jjasonn28

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah, while I had it out on the water, I pulled the plugs one at a time, and it kept running, which is why I suspected the carb. So as I mentioned, I tore the carb apart last night, cleaned it completely, and reassembled it today after work. Mounted it, hooked everything back up, and VOILA!!!! Its running like a top now. Even better lower idle, and while in gear the rpms have NO trouble taking off now.

The problem was the boss gasket. Or the nozzle gasket. The old one that came out of the carb was a small round black O ring, while the new one in the kit had much more meat to it, and greenish in color. I dont think that the nozzle was sealed properly with the old gasket.. does this make sense? I dont know a whole lot about carbs, but I think I read in another post that this model has a fixed high speed nozzle.

All I know is, I think Im finally winning the battle with this little motor. I have learned so much from these forums in such little time. To tell you the truth, tinkering with this thing has been (for the most part) pretty fun. Hopefully when I land my first smallmouth with it, it will all have been worth it!

jjasonn28

Cadet

Oh, just to answer your questions,

AITn - Yes, I did to a link n sync with the carb. I did notice that the throttle control cam has worn down significantly. So I syncd the carb to that cam (following instructions on the forums) to take up the play.

Kfa4303 - I did remove and replace the welch plug. While it was off I gently ran a soft bristle through all the orifices, and blasted carb cleaner through everything.

AlTn

Commander

glad to hear....I'm sure you're tired of taking the carb on and off