Anyone try a bimini with a front enclosure on a boat without a windshield?

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I now have a 17ft aluminum side console. I can get a bimini made with a clear front (zipper down the middle to access bow) and clear sides.

Has anyone tried this kind of setup? Thoughts? I don't want to spend the money if it's not worth it. I'm a little worried about spray covering the plastic then I can't see.

Otherwise the price is pretty good and it will stop the wind.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anyone try a bimini with a front enclosure on a boat without a windshield?

Spray is a problem "glass" upfront but you can minimize it with the use of Rain-X. I have the luxary that when my glass gets to bad, I can sit down in the helm and look out the windshield with the wipers on..

QC

Supreme Mariner

There are a lot of boats setup like that. Yes, no wipers, but you can always unzip it. Can't be worse than what you have now . . .

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a lot depends on your conditions where you use it and what you do while using it. Fishing? runninjg on a plane? just for cover for a short squall?A stand-up full enclosure on a small tin boat will be shaky when you run at speed, get in the way folded up, be hard to see out, work around, stand up under and fish from. And no use at night. IOW a cabin on a boat too small for a cabin is a hard fit. So only you can decide if the benefits outweigh.

I'd think about something to block the wind while you are running but out of the way when stopped, fishing, etc. But that's from a Virginia perspective.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Spray is a problem "glass" upfront but you can minimize it with the use of Rain-X. I have the luxary that when my glass gets to bad, I can sit down in the helm and look out the windshield with the wipers on..

Don't use Rain-X on your eisenglass. It will craze and severely shorten it's life span.