Looking for the best 55-75# trolling motor

spdjnky_42

Cadet
I am in the market for a new trolling motor. I have an 18' jon with 70 hp motor usually carrying 3 guys and has live well with 2 batteries. I am looking for a trolling motor mainly for the river. If the river is up I am not usually on it. So something from 55#-75# would be good. I have looked at the reviews for minn kota edge a motor guide and both have horrible reviews. I am looking to spend $500 so used is definitely an option. It would need to be quick disconnect (kids on boat) and foot controlled. This is a river boat so I dont need fancy crap like wireless. What would you guys recommend

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for the best 55-75# trolling motor

You do realize that 55# is the biggest you can go with a single 12 volt battery. Anything with more thrust puts you into the 24 volt (two batteries in series) range. Your choices are MinnKota or MotorGuide. I've used 55# MinnKota Power Drives for years with no issues. Any bow mount motor can be mounted on a quick release plate so it can be removed in seconds. What were the issues with the motors you reviewed. When reading reviews you need to be objective. Some folks buy things with expectations that fall short because they made a wrong product choice. As a result the product gets blamed when it is the wrong product for the applicationi. Read reviews on smart phones and you learn in a hurry that battery life is short -- unless you take precautions. Most folks don't read that part of the instructions.

spdjnky_42

Cadet

I have two batteries. I realize the reviews are going to be mainly from pissed off people. However, when I see several with that same complaint then I tend to steer clear of that product. I see things like motor quit after 2 months, or even 2 days then you have to send it in for warranty work which is BS. Indication arrow points in wrong direction, Speed 3 and 4 no difference, 1st speed wayyyyy to fast, etc. There are only two makers of trolling motors?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Those are the two majors. You can by other brand names but they are likely made and cost-reduced by either MinnKota or MotorGuide. As you pointed out, the comment such as the one that said "1st speed wayyyy too fast" is not a motor fault". I've never seen an electric motor where the lowest speed is too fast. That can actually be corrected with a prop with less pitch. As for the motor quiting I would bet it wasn't a motor problem at all but rather a wiring problem. Unless one sees a report dealing with what the perceived problem was what the problem "actually" turned out to be -- I simply dismiss those claims. Having seen what happens in a warranty situation, a very large number of returns turn out to be "no problem found". Operator error and improper installation top the list of faults.
If you are a "very slow" troller or you need precise control of speed, then you should consider one of the digital models like the Power Drive. Not only do these motors have much better battery life at speeds other than wide open, but they provide much better speed control.

NYBo

Admiral

I've never seen an electric motor where the lowest speed is too fast. That can actually be corrected with a prop with less pitch.
I didn't know trolling motor props were available in different pitches. Any suggestion as to source?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There may not be "direct" replacements but a smaller diameter prop from a lower power motor can often be fitted with just a little bit of modification. The other technique is to trim the blades but that affects performance across the board but then so would a prop with less pitch. I've only had to make such a mofication once but that was because a prop was no longer available for a very old troller. I made one work. But my Power Drives are so adjustable that the slowest speed is barely perceptable. In other words you can almost count the revs of the prop.