Swivel Greasing '88 Evinrude XP100-Bottom only

Arrowglass75

Recruit
While getting ready for the season, I was greasing the swivel bracket on the motor (has a grease zurk about midway down the length of the bracket with the motor titled up slightly) . I used a grease gun to try and lube the upper and lower bear ings in that bracket. The grease came out of the bottom bearing area, but no matter how much grease I pumped, i could not get grease to come out of the upper bearing. The motor swival and steers fine, i just want to grease it properly.

I used Evinrude triple guard in my grease gun. (much of it now in the waste basket) It appeared that some grease was trying yo come out of the top, but it all just oozed out of the lower bearing.

Does this indicate that I have a bad seal on the lower bearing or that the bearing needs replacement? How big a job is replacing the lower bearing?

I looked at the Evinrude diagram and couldn't tell if I am missing a hidden zurk somewhere that lubes the upper bearing.
!
Thanks for any insight

Arrowglass75

Recruit
Re: Swivel Greasing '88 Evinrude XP100-Bottom only

Just to clarify, this is the "steering arm"bracket (motors turns port/starboard on the bearings) not the Tilt, motor up/down. No issues there!

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe take a wooden stick and some rags and some solvent like WD-40 to try to clean all that old grease from around the top of the swivel, so you can see if it's even coming out from up there when you're pumping. That said, I doubt you you have a problem, and not worth the trouble to replace those swivel bearings and seals. Sounds like you're almost as bad as me about worrying over every little thing....My wife told me one day I was "being paranoid about that outboard motor"....and you know, she may have been right!;)

Fed

Commander

Block the bottom up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's usually the top where the grease won't come out. If you're using it in salt water eventually you'll have probs with that upper bearing. Keep on greasing it and hope for the best.

Arrowglass75

Recruit

Thanks for all your advice:

1 - For sure I'm obsessing! If it ain't broke don't fix it-Why can't I learn that?

I've had the boat and motor for 2 years, got it for a song, and then obsessivly sunk a good bit of money into it, and want to treat in right. That said, it really is a minor issue.

Fed, your idea of blocking it up helped. Here is what I did:

1 - I took a long cloth rag, wrapped it tightly around the lower bearing area where the grease was coming out.
2 - Went around that with 2 long hose clamps from my RV sewage line.
3 - Cleaned the 20 years of hard grease gunk off the top swival area with WD40 and toothbrush.
4 - Pumped more greaese into the Zurk.
5 - And got grease to flow out of the top swivel bearing (Still had a good amount ooze out the bottom)

Obsession satisfied: At least I have good new grease up top. What came out was black, waterly and thin.

Fed

Commander

HaHaHaHa!
Exactly the same as I did but I wrapped fencing wire around the rag, I like your new & improved hose clamp method.
Penetrating oil works well in grease guns if you can pump really fast.