Internal fuel tank question

fitzi6_7

Cadet
In my 78 lowe line with a 55 Johnson SeaHorse, the guy was using a portable tank under the fishing deck. I don't like this and want to use the internal tank that is still in there. The tank has old fuel in it and the guy I bought the boat from only used the spare tank but said that he wasn't aware of any issues.

So,,, I put about a half gallon of gas in the tank with some treatment in it to try and clean any gunk out of it. Then connected a new hose and bulb to the old connectors and squeezed (a lot!) I can feel suction within the hose but get nothing out of it. I am about to replace the old Johnson connector with new one, and wonder if there is an issue with the hoses inside the tank. How do I get the fitting out to inspect them? Also any tips for restoring it would be great. Would love to add more fuel.

Thanks,

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Internal fuel tank question

Assume that gas in the tank is bad and do not use it. You can damage your motor. Can you see the tank and determine what type of material it's made out of? Metal, fiberglass, or plastic? Metal could corrode and leak. I've had that happen to me. Some boats of the 1970's era had fiberglass fuel tanks. The introduction of ethanol (E10) causes those fiberglass tanks to go soft and leak. Check your bilge and see if there's gas there. If there is you know there's a leak. Lines should be traced. If they are old, replace them. Look for an "alcohol resistant" stamp on the line. If it doesn't have it, replace it. Ethanol breaks down older lines and sends all that broken down material to your engine. Have a marina can pump out that tank for you. Also consider buying a fuel filter/water separator.

shrew

Lieutenant

The tank has old fuel in it and the guy I bought the boat from only used the spare tank but said that he wasn't aware of any issues.

People don't simply take a perfectly functioning built in fule tank with a dedicated through deck fill and vent, and replace with a portable for no reason. If I were to read between the lines, it sounds like this was done by an owner prior to teh prevoius owner buying the boat. I would absolutely assume the fuel in the tank is bad and remove it all. I will also assume there is gunk inthe tank and the pickup is probably clogged. I would further assume that there was an issue with the tank to begin with which is why they went with a portable tank. I wouldn't trust the tank itself at all.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

People don't simply take a perfectly functioning built in fule tank with a dedicated through deck fill and vent, and replace with a portable for no reason. If I were to read between the lines, it sounds like this was done by an owner prior to teh prevoius owner buying the boat. I would absolutely assume the fuel in the tank is bad and remove it all. I will also assume there is gunk inthe tank and the pickup is probably clogged. I would further assume that there was an issue with the tank to begin with which is why they went with a portable tank. I wouldn't trust the tank itself at all.
That is shrewd, shrew.

fitzi6_7

Cadet

Assume that gas in the tank is bad and do not use it. You can damage your motor. Can you see the tank and determine what type of material it's made out of? Metal, fiberglass, or plastic? Metal could corrode and leak. I've had that happen to me. Some boats of the 1970's era had fiberglass fuel tanks. The introduction of ethanol (E10) causes those fiberglass tanks to go soft and leak. Check your bilge and see if there's gas there. If there is you know there's a leak. Lines should be traced. If they are old, replace them. Look for an "alcohol resistant" stamp on the line. If it doesn't have it, replace it. Ethanol breaks down older lines and sends all that broken down material to your engine. Have a marina can pump out that tank for you. Also consider buying a fuel filter/water separator.

Right I get it,,,,, which is why I asked the questions I did. Is there a way to get the pickup out of the thing without tearing it up so that I can clean the tank? The tank is plastic and holding fuel and I am not planning on using it. I would like to refurbish it if possible.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I don't plan on using it but I woud like to refurbish it if possible"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what does that mean. Wanting to refurbish it would certainly imply you intend to use it. Again --Don't bother. Resins used in those old tanks which are generally fiberglass (not plastic) will be softened by the ethanol in todays fuel. The fuel thats in there now was probably a decade or so old and therefore NOT an E10 mix. There is no refurbishing that tank. It's junk. But to get the pickup out you unscrew it unless it is molded into the tank in which case, the tank is still junk since you can't remove the tube without destroying the seal. If the tank is indeed plastic then it can be used if cleaned. Take the fitting off the engine end of the fuel line. You cannot force fuel through a line that's sealed on the end (with the connector). Then hold the bulb vertically so the valves can work efficiently.

fitzi6_7

Cadet

I don't plan on using it but I woud like to refurbish it if possible"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what does that mean. Wanting to refurbish it would certainly imply you intend to use it. Again --Don't bother. Resins used in those old tanks which are generally fiberglass (not plastic) will be softened by the ethanol in todays fuel. The fuel thats in there now was probably a decade or so old and therefore NOT an E10 mix. There is no refurbishing that tank. It's junk. But to get the pickup out you unscrew it unless it is molded into the tank in which case, the tank is still junk since you can't remove the tube without destroying the seal. If the tank is indeed plastic then it can be used if cleaned. Take the fitting off the engine end of the fuel line. You cannot force fuel through a line that's sealed on the end (with the connector). Then hold the bulb vertically so the valves can work efficiently.[/QUOTE

It is a plastic tank. It definitely is not from the original boat as i can see where the decking was replaced and the strap kit is not very old. Yes you are correct that I would like to reuse the tank rather than buy and install a new one if possible (bad use of grammer there), however, if I have no other choices then that's what i will do. My comment about refurbish was meant to say, I am not going to use it as it sits with the fuel that is in it... you answered my question about the fitting as it looks like it is sealed in the plastic but will recheck. The fuel line I used does not have a fitting on the end just the tank end which is what I was using. Pumping the plug (I thought) would draw the liquid out of the tank but it is not. If the pickup were plugged I thought it would result in backpressure in my lines but I don't feel any when I put my thumb over the end. I can feel it push air out but not suck air back in....

thanks for the help, gave me something else to look for also didn't hold the pump vertically which I will try..

series60

Chief Petty Officer

It is a plastic tank. It definitely is not from the original boat as i can see where the decking was replaced and the strap kit is not very old. Yes you are correct that I would like to reuse the tank rather than buy and install a new one if possible (bad use of grammer there), however, if I have no other choices then that's what i will do. My comment about refurbish was meant to say, I am not going to use it as it sits with the fuel that is in it... you answered my question about the fitting as it looks like it is sealed in the plastic but will recheck. The fuel line I used does not have a fitting on the end just the tank end which is what I was using. Pumping the plug (I thought) would draw the liquid out of the tank but it is not. If the pickup were plugged I thought it would result in backpressure in my lines but I don't feel any when I put my thumb over the end. I can feel it push air out but not suck air back in....

thanks for the help, gave me something else to look for also didn't hold the pump vertically which I will try..

If you feel the supply line is plugged I might suggest blowing air back through the line to see if that will dislodge the plug (use air compressor but set it down to around 20#s). Remove the fill cap and you might be able to hear air coming through the system. If it's plastic it should clean up with soapy water or simple green. If you use simple green let it soak overnight.